• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Any Thoughts On Pedersoli Kentucky and Pennsylvania Kits?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Looking at something to do to get me through the deep winter and they seem to be reasonably priced and decent quality.

Any input on them, and as far as the Kentucky vs, the Pennsylvania?

I have a Kentucky (45 cal) that was built from a kit, but not by me.
As for the rifle - it's reliable and shoots pretty darn straight - probably better than I can.......
It came as a percussion and I changed the lock, removed the bolster, added a liner and converted it to flint using an L&R RPL lock. There was a little fitting to do, but nothing major.

Looking at something to do to get me through the deep winter and they seem to be reasonably priced and decent quality.

Any input on them, and as far as the Kentucky vs, the Pennsylvania?
Both are level 1 (easy) kits depending on how much additional work you chose to put into them. I have already done the Kentucky (this last October) and have the Pennsylvania waiting in the hopper. The ramrod tubes are typically quite rough, the nose cap not as rough. The stock will need at minimum about 2-5% finishing work done, filing and sanding. The bluing on the barrel is temporary only to protect the barrel so that will have to be removed then you can, brown it, blue it or leave it in the white as you choose. The sights need some fitting, a triangular needle file comes in very handy.

If it helps you any here's the Kentucky I did.
My Latest Kit Build

Both are level 1 (easy) kits depending on how much additional work you chose to put into them. I have already done the Kentucky (this last October) and have the Pennsylvania waiting in the hopper. The ramrod tubes are typically quite rough, the nose cap not as rough. The stock will need at minimum about 2-5% finishing work done, filing and sanding. The bluing on the barrel is temporary only to protect the barrel so that will have to be removed then you can, brown it, blue it or leave it in the white as you choose. The sights need some fitting, a triangular needle file comes in very handy.

If it helps you any here's the Kentucky I did.
My Latest Kit Build

Very nice on the build there, very helpful.. Now I am trying to decide between the Kentucky and the Pennsylvania, and leaning towards the Pennsylvania due to its being longer by 6 inches or so, which seems preferable to me.

My only concern, having not ever built a Pedersoli Kentucky or Pennsylvania, is their set triggers. I have owned two factory Pedersoli Scout rifles, both .50 caliber. I love(d) them both. Great handling, good shooting, and light. But their set triggers are terrible. Set or unset, the trigger is long, creepy, gritty, and inconsistent. Is there are replacement for it?

ADK Bigfoot

Very nice on the build there, very helpful.. Now I am trying to decide between the Kentucky and the Pennsylvania, and leaning towards the Pennsylvania due to its being longer by 6 inches or so, which seems preferable to me.
Many would say the Pennsylvania is more correct due to it's length, I got the Kentucky because I always wanted one and for no other reason. If you compare the two the only real difference is the length and the Pennsylvania doesn't have a patchbox other than that everything appears to be the same. With mine I did cut the comb back a little and make the wrist a little more narrow, makes it look a tad more like a Berks County rifle. When I finally do my Penn I may add a patchbox to mine oh and I did order proper sights from Track of the Wolf for the Penn.

My only concern, having not ever built a Pedersoli Kentucky or Pennsylvania, is their set triggers. I have owned two factory Pedersoli Scout rifles, both .50 caliber. I love(d) them both. Great handling, good shooting, and light. But their set triggers are terrible. Set or unset, the trigger is long, creepy, gritty, and inconsistent. Is there are replacement for it?

ADK Bigfoot
I know my Kentucky has no set trigger.

I did a Pendersoli Kentucky pistol kit, my first kit, and really had a great time with it. My goal was to learn more about these neat flintlocks and achieve a finished product that was (in my opinion) better than factory finished. I think I succeeded.

I have a Pedersoli Dixie Delux that originally came through DGW. It has a patch box and is a lot longer than the Kentucky and has a larger lock than the Kentucky. It is an older gun, so the newer ones may have changed hardware. The trigger is OK and works fine. It's not up to the same standard as the Frontier I bought new 2 years ago though.
My Kentucky has a single set single trigger as well, and that could be a lot better...

I am in the process of putting a Pennsylvania kit together,although it comes “in the white”. Put together at the factory except for the sights. Level 1,,,sanding the stock and staining. Going to have to file the barrel and brown it. The set trigger is a dream! Did a Lyman Great Plains rifle last winter and it is a little more difficult as you have to do more in letting work. Turned out great though. This is a Pedersoli Pennsylvania kit.

Back