• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Any Texas Goin Traditional?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
:hmm: I'm headin up there friday(tamale') to get a new map the office is on the right there in Decatur just after you go down that crazy hill over 380 heading north on 287. $6 to find all the roads to get ya there is a steal considering its free to hunt :RO:

Hoping to be hunting somewhere in South Texas with an old Hawkens style kit gun my dad made many moons ago. Failing that I'll be browsing the gun shops for a decent used one seen a few used ones in good shape go for less than 200 bucks.

Howdy Jake,

I'll be hunting Sam Houston National Forest with my TVA .50 flint Tennessee Rifle or my .54 GPR caplock for deer or hogs. My other hunting area is a farm my buddy manages in New Waverly.

Anybody ever hunted in the National Forests? I'm leery doing of doing that. Never know what kind of fool you'll run across that will shoot at anything.

Regards,

Big Roy

:grey:

I'll be hunting in Nacogdoches and Polk counties of East Texas. Our Muzzleloader season is just 8 days in January, for does and spikes only. I'll be hunting during the regular gun season with my TC 50 caliber Pennsylvania Hunter or 50 caliber CVA St Louis Hawken.

Scalplock, if you still have a doe tag left there shouldn't be too much going on in the Angelina and Davy Crockett National Forest during the January muzzleloader season. Check the county listings.

Howdy Scalplock. Nope, never hunted in the national forrest before. When I'm not up here in Stephenville for school, I live in Spring. About 40 minutes south of Huntsville, and it would be an easy drive to come up and hunt. I'm always just a bit worried though about what yahoo might be behind the next hill in search of a "sound shot".

Jake

I spent most of my spring semester at Texas A&M in my garage building a rifle, and I can't wait to take it into the woods this hunting season. It is an Isaac Haines flintlock in .50 cal and it shoots like a dream. My hunting load will be 75gr of FFF Goex pushing a .490 PRB, and I'll always be carrying my trusty tomahawk.

I'll be doing most of my hunting in the woods around my home in Industry, TX. We don't have the best deer, but I did see a mountain lion last year! :shocking:

Happy Hunting!

Plan to get out over Christmas week -- they don't get really into rut until after mid-December in Kinney Co.
I'll be trying out a .54 GPR I picked up at auction. Haven't really had a chnce to hunt trad. BP for several years. Am looking forward to getting back into it!

a littleover twenty years i hunted in the davy crockett n/f around lake conroe ,and was on the recieving end of one of those "sound" shots. :curse:
fortunately i left there un scathed other than the state police wondering why i was driving 80 mph exiting the the game preserve.
i,ll just stay right here in medina county with my york .50 rock lock and take my chances.

Have a ranch in Kinney COunty -- live in Jackson County. Just picked up a .54 GPR in an estate auction. SHoots nice. Plan to try her out the week after Christmas.

Back