• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Any major difference on hawken rifles

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lonewolf5347

40 Cal.
Reaction score
I like to ask any major difference on a early model 1980 Lyman flinter (investarms )
Compare to Thompson center early model hawken flinter rifle
Both 50 cal.

Well the Lyman is more true to the classic "Hawken" rifle styling than the TC. The TC is going to be styled in more of a generic "Trade rifle" fashion IMO.
If your a purist the coil spring on the Lyman will drive you nuts but the lock functions well.
Both will benefit from a little "fluff & buff" of the lockwork. Pay mind to frizzen hardness.
If your of the mind superior aftermarket locks are available for both.
I feel the build quality is better on the Lyman and as mentioned, is more historically accurate. I've never owned a TC, they never appealed to me in the least.
One thing that needs improvement on the Lyman is the beavertail cheekpiece. IMO it is waaaaay too big, in factory form it just looks like a big fugly wart on the left side of the stock, especially the lower section. Reducing it results in a much cleaner look, more accurate to original "Plains" style examples I have seen.
Original rifles were examples of efficiency and function, if it didn't belong it wasn't on it, especially in the stock. Just enough to do what it needed without sacrificing strength.

Both have the Investarms coil spring lock with some parts, notably the frozen, being nearly interchangeable. Some T/C owners have replaced the early T/C frizzen with the Lyman frozen.

The Lyman Great Plains rifle has a longer barrel and steel hardware rather than the brass hardware (trigger guard, butt plate, and patchbox) of the T/C.

I think the rate of twist may be different as well as the depth of rifling. T/C barrels have shallow (0.0040to 0.006") depth rifling. The T/C rate of twist is 1 in 48" while the Lyman has a 1 in 66" twist.

The Lyman is more os a patched round ball rifle while the T/C has the shallow grooves as part of design
compatibility with flat based conicals such as the Maxi-Ball. Both can perform well with round ball.

The one thing on the Lyman hawken is
depth rifling is deeper cut compared to Thompson center hawken rifle.

The styling of the Lyman is nice and the longer barrel is a benefit but if I wanted a buy it and shoot it rifle the T/C wins. The triggers, sights and general quality has won many a match and for me and brought home the game when I started in muzzle loading. Now I shoot a hand built Hawken but will still advise a beginner to buy a T/C for a first rifle and it can serve him well for life.

Back