• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Any Lefties shooting RH flint ?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
jdw276 said:
... which hand do you prime the pan with? Lh flint I use lh with rh holding the forearm and butt stock resting on my left hip.

If I prime with my lh on a rh flint the lock/frizzen seems to get in the way and the touchhole points more towards my face.

Not trying to steal the thread but thought it was kinda related.

More than kinda related.

"Logistics" are a PITA. Just hand a lefty flinter to a righty and let them talk about how easy it is. And pack some sympathy for their tattoos.

I have both lefties and righties and move back and forth between them if I have to. But the righties are getting less and less use. As I can replace them with lefties I'm doing so, and the heck with the HC/PC police.

If you're a lefty buying your first flinter, do yourself a favor and search out a leftie. You'll be lots happier. Especially when you loan it out to righties!

Poo poo, poor pitiful righty. You can do it if you really try!!!! :rotf:

A lot of old timers talk about learning to shoot right hand flinters Left handed and having no problems. Same guys had to learn to shoot right hand bolt guns, semis and just had to figure it out.

If a guy absolutely has to you can learn to adapt to damn near anything but a left hand flint as well as left handed other guns are WAY easier to get along with if you are left handed.

My dad was right handed and a Military shooting instructor. From watching so many leftys struggle with right handed guns, and the much higher accident rate they had using them, he convinced me to buy left handed guns. It is advice that has served me well for many years.

Do as you like but my advice is spend a little more and get ALL left handed gear and guns.

I think that's good advice. . . I have a left hand Rem .270 bolt . . I can't imagine owning a right hand bolt action . though semi-auto's don't bother me at all . .the bolt is a bridge too far.

I have a right hand percussion which is fine, but I'd prefer a lefty . . and like my LH lyman. . though it does look odd to me sometimes, as I see mostly RH muzzleloaders.

Thanks !

I am left-eye dominant and shoot a right handed flint. It's not really a problem, with the exception that all that smoke is in my face for a minute.

Farewell Hank and thanks for all your contributions here at the forum. If your health improves to the point where you can drop in on us again, please do.

Twisted_1in66 :hatsoff:
Dan

I'm actually right handed but because I have never been able to close my right eye, I have always shot left handed. Over the years I have only had one left handed rifle which felt awkward because I'm so used to shooting right handed ones. Other than a little powder blowdown onto my right forearm, I have never really had any problems.....Mick C

I shoot a 45 cal rh lock on a left handed English sporting rifle design flinter with zero problems but being left handed and growing up in a right handed world I don't feel uncomfortable shooting rh stuff left handed and getting to the point I want to make IF you own a flint double whether you shoot right hand or left hand and miss with the first shot do you cock the other lock and shoot or do you switch shoulders first so you have the lock in correct position? Just say'n

I have never shot one of those. . . but I think you make a good point . . I'd say you don't change your shoulder or eye. . just how you cock the gun.

Back