• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Any 4-H Muzzleloading Instructors?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I've shared a few times that I work for 4-H in my county, and am a certified 4-H Muzzleloading Instructor. I am in charge of my county's shooting sports program, and run a Homeschool Muzzleloading and Heritage Arts group. I couldn't ask for a more rewarding opportunity than to work with my kids as I explore and grow my interest and experience in all that this sport has to offer. I'd really enjoy hearing about what other folks involved in the 4-H program are doing.

Additionally, I'm looking at connecting with other 4-H groups with a Postal Match, and maybe a 4-H Northeast Rendevous in fall of 2024.

That sounds very rewarding and enjoyable too. How would one go about doing something like that? No such activities anywhere near my AO as far as I know.
I’d start by contacting your local Extension/4-H office. Every county should have one, but the names change depending on your land grant university. From there, it’s just a matter of what 4-H and 4-H shooting sports looks like in your area. I know that in Saratoga County, NY we have a strong program with a lot of opportunities, but that’s not the case everywhere.

At our 4-H Homeschool Muzzleloading meeting today, we had kids on the line, kids playing 9 Men’s Morris on playing boards they made, and kids reading books of Robert Service poetry. It is such a fun group to work with.

Attachments

• IMG_3046.jpeg
    IMG_3046.jpeg
    3.1 MB · Views: 0
When we started working with kids, we looked at 4H but with their only recognizing the 4H certification and comparing the size of 4H to other groups, we decided to bypass 4H. In my area, 4H is nowhere near as large as Scouting, Royal Rangers or Trail Life, all of which recognize the NRA cert. If 4H would change their ways and recognize the NRA/NMLRA cert, I think you could get more folks to help.

I'm glad to see when folks take time to work with kids, but I think 4H is doing a disservice by not recognizing certification by the NRA/NMLRA as it's cutting itself off from the largest pool of instructors.

When we started working with kids, we looked at 4H but with their only recognizing the 4H certification and comparing the size of 4H to other groups, we decided to bypass 4H. In my area, 4H is nowhere near as large as Scouting, Royal Rangers or Trail Life, all of which recognize the NRA cert. If 4H would change their ways and recognize the NRA/NMLRA cert, I think you could get more folks to help.

I'm glad to see when folks take time to work with kids, but I think 4H is doing a disservice by not recognizing certification by the NRA/NMLRA as it's cutting itself off from the largest pool of instructors.
I totally understand your concerns, but there is a reason, and one that I stand behind. 4-H is a Youth Development organization, and we train all of our volunteers in PYD (Positive Youth Development). This means that our instructors are trained to focus not only on teaching safe and ethical shooting, but more so how to specifically work with youth and how to be intentional about teaching all of the skills that can be delivered through a shooting sports program (personal safety, communication, compassion, record keeping, etc.). Additionally, for insurance purposes, we are requried to teach from a 4-H/youth specific national curriculum.

None of this is discounting NRA/NMLRA certifications, not at all. In fact, most of our safety and shooting specific curriculum is adapted from the NRA/NMLRA. However, that youth piece is what makes our certification different. It's not for everyone, and it does make it a bit more difficult to become a 4-H instructor. I'm sure that extra work makes some decide against 4-H as well. However, if someone decides against 4-H because of it, I hold no hard feelings, I understand that we all have limited time and resources, and I'm respectful of that. I've worked with and learned from some fantastic NRA instructors who took the extra few hours to become 4-H certified.

We don't really view other youth development organizations as competition, we're all doing good work. I've several members who are also members of the scouts, and as of recently shooting with a growing number of schools offering competitive trap programs. I think they offer things that we don't, and conversely, we offer things that they don't.

Ultimately, I think working with youth, especially in shooting sports is one of the best things I do. It's a rewarding experience that has allowed me to learn from and meet some amazing folks. I would never discourage anyone from taking a chance to share their knowledge and skills with young people, whether it be 4-H, scouts, or just taking your neighbor's kid hunting. I truely believe that shooting/hunting programs produce some of the most responsible and well-rounded kids of any of our programs.

I was not given the courtesy of a return call or email from the Georgia 4H organization when I offered to assist and start a muzzleloading group and help coordinate it all.

I was not given the courtesy of a return call or email from the Georgia 4H organization when I offered to assist and start a muzzleloading group and help coordinate it all.
That's a shame. I know that each state and even county is different in terms of their resources and priority given to Shooting Sports. I'm lucky that I manage our county program, so priortiy is always given to Shooting Sports :)

That's a shame. I know that each state and even county is different in terms of their resources and priority given to Shooting Sports. I'm lucky that I manage our county program, so priortiy is always given to Shooting Sports :)
And that's why working with 4H is problematic from another perspective. With each state and county doing their own thing, it's going to be difficult to get a national level thing going. That model works great for some things as 4H is centered around rural life.

And that's why working with 4H is problematic from another perspective. With each state and county doing their own thing, it's going to be difficult to get a national level thing going. That model works great for some things as 4H is centered around rural life.
It is a blessing and a curse, that's for sure. It's great for someone like me who works for the program, as emphasis can be put on mine and my volunteers areas of expertise and interest. At least in NYS, it's not a top-down program, so each county program is different. However, that does mean that counties who are limited in scope or resources may not have the diversity of programming. I'm fortunate to be in a well funded program that has a lot of volunteer support, which allows us to offer a lot of things. I recognize that not everyone has that luxury.

Here in NC, I've tried to reach out to 4H but the muzzleloading programs vary widely in both size and scope. Some are nonexistent, but there are a couple of decent size. Those that are active seem to focus on paper punching and while that's not a bad thing, it can be rather boring. We've found that reactive targets work well in keeping interest up and slipping in offhand marksmanship instruction while having fun.

Here in NC, I've tried to reach out to 4H but the muzzleloading programs vary widely in both size and scope. Some are nonexistent, but there are a couple of decent size. Those that are active seem to focus on paper punching and while that's not a bad thing, it can be rather boring. We've found that reactive targets work well in keeping interest up and slipping in offhand marksmanship instruction while having fun.
I think I enjoy the ML discipline so much because you can do so much with it. Outside of shooting paper, we can do steel targets, shotgunning, tomahawk/knife throwing, all kinds of heritage arts and crafts, outdoor cooking, history, STEM, and we've even been slipping in poetry and literature with our little rag-tag group. It's good fun.

I coach for air rifle, pistol and smallbore rifle and pistol. Illinois is talking about starting muzzleloading. I think it is definitely a great way to use STEM, build shooting skills and teach a sport they can do as adults. Coaching nights are the highlight of my week. I teach Special Ed for students with mental health/behavioral issues. I honestly need to see kids thrive as opposed to just struggling.

I think I enjoy the ML discipline so much because you can do so much with it. Outside of shooting paper, we can do steel targets, shotgunning, tomahawk/knife throwing, all kinds of heritage arts and crafts, outdoor cooking, history, STEM, and we've even been slipping in poetry and literature with our little rag-tag group. It's good fun.
Since we're talking a bit about more than just shooting, we often slip in some edumacation as well. Discussing how the guns operate opens the door to math and physics discussion. I've often been told they prefer our muskets with minies mainly cuz they're easier to load but sometimes it's because of "less recoil". Not so fast here, in terms of raw KE (Kinetic Energy) the muskets "kick" more but mitigating factors like weight, momentum and impulse play a huge part. Presto, instant physics lesson. Aerodynamics- minie v roundball. History- having everything from flint locks to rollers opens the door to talking about technological development.

I have had one special needs shooter and he was, and still is, one of my favorite kids to work with. While I'm no doc, I did grow up with a kid who had Cerebral Palsy and I'd bet this kid had it. When we started, he was determined to shoot with his friends but struggled to hit the ground in front of the backstop. I spent the entire morning with him and by lunch time, had him whacking Ritz crackers with a musket at 30yd right along with his friends. To say he was happy is a bit of an understatement.

Whether you're working with 4H or any other youth org, the key is to get kids on the line at the range having fun. It's an experience that will last them a lifetime and who knows, maybe even make some converts to our stinky, smelly style of shooting.

Several years ago a couple of us tried to get involved with our county 4-H shooting sports and they did not have a program. Gave us a ration and would not let us go to another county for indoc. It gave me a bad taste.

I’m a 4H ML instructor in Central Mo.
It’s a blast!
We punch paper because that’s the end goal, at both the State Competition and Nationals, if you make the State Team!

If you want to volunteer, start with your local 4H club, along with your county university extension office.
And if the county and the state headquarters do not return your phone calls or reply to emails? Turning away volunteers is a sure way to destroy any program. Think sports and no volunteers equals no youth sport.

Back