• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Antler Pipe

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Griz

45 Cal.
Reaction score
I made a pipe for smokin' out of some deer antler. I used the base and drilled it out for my tobacco and the used one of the brow tine for the reed stem. A friend told me last week that I should not smoke a deer antler that the heat generated by the fire will make it toxic. :shocking: Anyone ever heard of this? I doubt it could do me any more brain damage than already exists. ::
If you know of any information let us know.

When drilling it out, did you smell anythin bad, like burning hair and bone?

This will be in every bowl you smoke with it unless you can line it with something...

Here is an antler pipe found on the web...
pipe.jpg

It didn't smell any worse than anything else I drilled. If you ever drilled or worked with horn, antler... they stink when worked.
I was told that the horn became toxic when smoked and became a little scepticle when I heard this.
What could it be lined with, that could be done at home?

I doubt that it would be toxic but it might be the worst tasting smoke you ever had. Orientals grind them up and ingest them for an aphrodisiac so might make you horny. :crackup:

A friend told me last week that I should not smoke a deer antler that the heat generated by the fire will make it toxic. :shocking: Anyone ever heard of this?

Inhaling burning hair can't good for your lungs. I don;t know if it's any more toxic than tobacco, but it sure smells like it should be.

I think antler pipes are another one of those 20th century, "Rendezvous" inventions.

I doubt it could do me any more brain damage than already exists.
Probably not, but you might start growin'antlers! :shocking: I wouldn't worry about it. :thumbsup:

Wouldn't worry about what. The antlers growing out of my head or the brain damage :crackup:

I was talkin' about the brain damage. The antlers growing out of your head would make a great conversational ice breaker! I wouldn't worry about them either. :crackup: :crackup: :crackup: Plus, you could hang your accoutrements from them! :crackup: :crackup: :crackup: :thumbsup:

My problem is, I have never seen a antler pipe in any past history material...nut until these modern times. So, :shocking: does anyone have documentatin on them?? :huh: :huh: Other than they are neet to make. :imo:

Inhaling we don't need no stinkin' inhalin'! I didn't inhale honest!! :crackup: :crackup:

Seriously though noone I know inhales their pipe smoke we just puff on it for looks and to keep the bugs away!

I've got a bowl made from antler they are alright once you get them burnt in so to speak!

Chuck

[/quote]

Haight Ashbury 1969, maybe. :crackup: [/quote]

Ohhhh, Mr. Smartypants :crackup: :crackup: :crackup: :crackup:

Same with my big stinkin' cigars, NO inhale (honest) just puffin' to keep the bugs away :shocking:

OK....I use to wear the wide angle pants and put flowers in my hair...or was that a song?? :bull: anyway...WE use to use the little glass pipe and ....oooooops, wrong site. This isn't the site for "puff dreams;-)"???? :: and special grass blends. ????

Oh....this is the sudo Monty Python area. :crackup: :crackup:

I don't know if antler is the same composition as bone but...I have read that some people who worked with bone (way back before OSHA) would come down with something they called "knifemakers disease" which was actually anthrax poisoning. Anthrax is naturally found and occurring in the bovine population.

So if drilling and filing would release the bad stuff then I'm not sure what heating and breathing through it would do.

Just my 2 cents and not to be taken as the gospel.

I was talkin' about the brain damage. The antlers growing out of your head would make a great conversational ice breaker! I wouldn't worry about them either. :crackup: :crackup: :crackup: Plus, you could hang your accoutrements from them! :crackup: :crackup: :crackup: :thumbsup:

bad thing about the antlers is he will lose them come jan - feb....and yup the chinese ground it up for peter powder :crackup:............................

As a former heavy pipe smoker I have three or four books on pipes. I find reference to pipes made of walrus teeth, lobster claws and all sorts of things, but none of antler. Also find tobacco used to be considered a remedy for everything from arthritis to warts, but my doctor doesn't agree. There's another section around here on tomahawks used as pipes. Someone said they might well have been lousy pipes as well as poor tomahawks. He was right. The best material for pipes is at least somewhat porous: clay, meerschaum, briar, corn cob. After I quit smoking I tried chewing tobacco, but found I'd have to change my name to Brownbeard. :m2c:

Back