• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Antique Oiler?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Millford_P

32 Cal
Reaction score
Hi everyone,
I've been trying to figure out exactly what this oiler is - it came in a box of musket parts I bought from another collector, so I assume it's military related - but I'm not sure where or when it's from. The makers mark (found in bottom and lid) is [H]. The only other markings it has is F or a P and the numbers 3762.

For all I know it could be just an old watchmaker or machinist's oiler and not military related at all!
Thanks for looking! IMG_3498.jpgIMG_3502.jpgIMG_3500.jpgIMG_3501.jpgIMG_3499.jpg

Hi everyone,
I've been trying to figure out exactly what this oiler is - it came in a box of musket parts I bought from another collector, so I assume it's military related - but I'm not sure where or when it's from. The makers mark (found in bottom and lid) is [H]. The only other markings it has is F or a P and the numbers 3762.

For all I know it could be just an old watchmaker or machinist's oiler and not military related at all!
Thanks for looking! View attachment 280523View attachment 280521View attachment 280524View attachment 280525View attachment 280522
I believe it is a Martini-Henry oiler. There were two different styles, if I remember correctly.

With its tapered body, it looks more like a bench oiler, than one inside a fitted case for a rifle/shotgun.

Hi everyone,

Thanks for looking! View attachment 280523View attachment 280521View attachment 280524View attachment 280525View attachment 280522

I think it is British military, because of all the letter and number stampings, and the style of the of them.

I happened to have bought this a couple weeks ago. A very long and tiny needle whisker wire in the cap that pokes all the way down to keep the spout clear. The whole thing with lid/ spout attached is about 2-1/2 inches tall. I don't know anything about who or where it was made.
s-l1600.jpg

s-l140.jpg

I happened to have bought this a couple weeks ago. A very long and tiny needle whisker wire in the cap that pokes all the way down to keep the spout clear. The whole thing with lid/ spout attached is about 2-1/2 inches tall. I don't know anything about who or where it was made.
s-l1600.jpg

s-l140.jpg
Interesting, never seen that design before!

I have an oiler like the one pictured by the OP though mine doesn't have any numbers on it. I bought it from Dixie in the early 70s for maybe a couple of bucks. Their catalog description stated they had been removed from cased dueling pistol sets (yeah, right).

Latest posts

Back