• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Another successful morning.....

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Protrucker

45 Cal.
Reaction score
I was running a little late getting back to my favorite ridge again yesterday morning. It was already getting light by the time I got to my "hot spot" and, like last week, I heard a bird gobble before I got sat down. He sounded like he was less than 150 yards away. I found a tree to sit by and got ready as fast as I could. Right after I made my first try to call the Tom in, I saw movement. It was a hen. She hadn't seen me & worked her way past. After she got out of sight (so, I thought) I moved to position myself better for the Tom. As soon as I moved the hen started puttung in an alarmed sound. She had caught my movement. I froze. Then I called softly several times & the hen finally calmed down & clucked along with me. This really got the Tom worked up. He gobbled several times. Then, to my dismay, the hen went back toward where the Tom was gobbling. As she got near me going by I thought about spooking her away so that she wouldn't get between the Tom & me again, but I decided not to. She disapeared in the direction of the Tom & I continued calling. The Tom answered almost every call. After a few minutes, the hen appeared again going back the direction she had gone the first time by and the Tom was only 30-40 yards behind her. As soon as he cleared the brush & trees the woods in front of me filled with black powder smoke & the Tom was down.
This bird had 7/8" spurs & a 9 1/2" beard, but he had a little smaller body than my first Tom this year.
May1101.jpg

Very well played! Every turkey hunt is full of decisions, and you made all the right ones. A fine tom, and a great way to collect him. :thumbsup:

Great job. I see more than one 9 1/2" beards in the pic tho. Who tagged who? :grin:

Seriously, nice bird. :wink:

Back