• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Another 'hybrid' done #4

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ebiggs1

69 Cal.
Reaction score
Number four is 99% complete. Still waiting for some black screws. Don't know exactly what this one is since it is made out of parts from Thompson Center, Lyman, L&R, Track of the Wolf and Blacksmith Bob's! They are getting better and I will show this one, and the last one, off to folks. Everything in this one is made from used not new parts, or parts I had lying around, so I have no way of knowing exactly how much it cost to build. The stock is an unremarkable piece of walnut, the lock is an L&R and the barrel is a Lyman Great Plains.

IMG_6550-1.jpg

IMG_6564.jpg

IMG_6557.jpg

I love these sights!

IMG_6563.jpg

IMG_6562.jpg

IMG_6565.jpg

It shoots pretty good, too! Already dirtied it up.

excellant work. Actually many origional guns were made from a collection of available parts. Back in the old days nothing went to waste! :idunno:

IT'S ALIVE!!! A true Frankenstein that doesn't look Frankensteinish at all. Good work. :thumbsup: Bill

+1 to Snowdragon's comments. These are the kind of rifles I (try) to do for my Nephews/Nieces.
Woody

This gun started life as a Lyman flintlock kit. This is my third Lyman kit gun. It is highly modified, however. The best thing about the Lyman kit is their barrel. The rest is wanting. I did lots of stock reshaping and thinning. It is difficult to get a nice finish on the so called “walnut” they use. The sight are TOTW. The screws are from Blacksmith Bob's. The lock is an L&R. A Davis trigger is on order and will be installed when it arrives. Hmm, :hmm: this ain't a Lyman GPR kit anymore is it? Oh the iron is all Lyman!

Thats what I was thinking, Lyman GPR stock with "belly" and cheekpiece removed, slimmed down a bit. Nice work and a nice rifle, but still a Lyman GPR in my opinion.

My dad did similar with his Lyman Deerstalker, slimmed down the stock, removed cheekpiece, refinished with LMF maple stain. LMF maple used on walnut gives a pleasing rich,reddish hue.

There is no stain on the stock per say. I used tinted tung oil. On this rifle I put a few drops of Ebony stain in the tung oil and applied it. After that dried I mixed a few drops of Early American stain in some tung oil and applied 3 more coats for a total of four coats. This makes the stock unbelievable smooth and gloss is controlled by how much 0000 steel wool you care to use. It is very easy to control the color you want.

Back