• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Another hog

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

flyfisher76544

45 Cal.
Reaction score
Well my son and I decided to hit the woods last weekend. We hunt on base and since it was the last weekend of deer season, all of our usual haunts had people near them hunting. So we decided to go to some new ground along the river. Glad we did, found a group of hogs moving through some river cane in an ole swamp bottom.

hawg-1_zpsc321bafa.jpg

Early Lancaster .50 cal, 70 grains 3F .490 roundball.

Way to go, flyfisher! That definitely looks like a big 'un...how much do you think it weighed?

The biologists at the check station said 250 plus. They couldn't believe that I was out hunting with a flintlock..lol.

Grey Whiskers said:
Good hunting! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

I'm always curious about penetration with a r/ball. Details? GW

High shoulder shot, blew through her spine and out the other side. Shot was 35 yards. Supercracker, yep.....she was nursing. There were about 6 piglets that were just getting close to eating size. Hopefully we can find some this weekend.

Good on you, great hunt...

Somehow that pig reminds me of the Federal Government... :hmm: :hmm: :hmm:

Howdy!
Congrats on the pig!

I'm always curious about penetration with a r/ball. Details? GW

Meshach Browning in the late 1700's and early 1800's killed many bear-mountain lion-wolf-and deer with a round ball. Many of the bear weighed 400lbs, all shot with a round ball.

Wattsy said:
Good on you, great hunt...

Somehow that pig reminds me of the Federal Government... :hmm: :hmm: :hmm:

Anothe congratulations on the great hunt. As to the quote above, please warn me not to drink coffee while reading these posts... But great minds think alike.

Sweet!!!!!! I know people meet you in the woods and think something must be wrong with you for toting that old thing that cant shoot very far and only has one shot. I ran into a guy at Pine Log WMA last saturday who thought I was "CRAZY" for hunting hogs with a Muzzleloader and round ball. He said you only get one shot, I told him beware of the man with one shot, he can hit where he aims.

Nice to see another lefty out there! :thumbsup: thats big hog, what do you plan on doing with her? Btw thats the same load I use in mine. .50 cal. .490rb, 70grns of 3fff KIK .24 patch. Glad you got a female, thier making babies every time ya turn around.

We turned most of the meat to sausage, except the 2 hams. We plan on roasting those for an event in February over a fire.

Of course they had a hard time believeing that you were hunting with a flint lock. They wont kill anything. Oh wait! I guess they can! Geo. T.

Geo T said:
They wont kill anything. Oh wait! I guess they can! Geo. T.

Shhh, dont let people know that! if they figure out these things can actually hurt something then those anti-gun nuts will start calling for a ban on assault flintlocks. my musket does have a bayonet lug...

edit: sorry for going :eek:ff but i couldnt resist.

-matt

Latest posts

Back