• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Another "Black rifle"

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tommy Bruce

50 Cal.
Reaction score

This one was built by Don Bruton. .54 cal Rice barrel, Chambers lock. Don handforged the rest of the metal furnishings.

That is a dandy nice rifle there Tommy! Don does fine work! When I read your heading about a "black rifle" I kind of expected to see a plastic stocked something :blah:

Capt. Joel, I actually had one of those plastic stocked abominations in my garage putting it back together for a co-worker and caught a ration of manure from a friend who thought it was mine.

Is that swivel patchbox a Carolina thing or is that seen on guns other than "Carolina Deep River" guns that I have seen? I ask because my knowledge is limited. I just haven't seen a whole lot of originals.

Yours is VERY nice BTW.

Benny,

I believe it is a Carolina thing. I think it probably dates to the early 1800's but I'm not sure. I remember seeing one original in a book with that feature but can't remember which book or where exactly the rifle was built. Don puts them on most of his rifles unless specified otherwise.

Dons guns have a look all their own. Got a chance to do my first serious shooting yesterday at a woodswalk. I missed a few shots but usually they were the novalty stations. I shot with both 60 and 90 gr of 2f and the rifle is definately "deer ready." A total of 21 shots and I never had a misfire or hangfire all day.

Yeah, buddy! When you have that gun in your hands, it will put a little strut in your step. Beautiful gun!

Back