• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Another "Black rifle"

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That is a dandy nice rifle there Tommy! Don does fine work! When I read your heading about a "black rifle" I kind of expected to see a plastic stocked something :blah:

Capt. Joel, I actually had one of those plastic stocked abominations in my garage putting it back together for a co-worker and caught a ration of manure from a friend who thought it was mine.

Is that swivel patchbox a Carolina thing or is that seen on guns other than "Carolina Deep River" guns that I have seen? I ask because my knowledge is limited. I just haven't seen a whole lot of originals.

Yours is VERY nice BTW.

Benny,

I believe it is a Carolina thing. I think it probably dates to the early 1800's but I'm not sure. I remember seeing one original in a book with that feature but can't remember which book or where exactly the rifle was built. Don puts them on most of his rifles unless specified otherwise.

Dons guns have a look all their own. Got a chance to do my first serious shooting yesterday at a woodswalk. I missed a few shots but usually they were the novalty stations. I shot with both 60 and 90 gr of 2f and the rifle is definately "deer ready." A total of 21 shots and I never had a misfire or hangfire all day.

Yeah, buddy! When you have that gun in your hands, it will put a little strut in your step. Beautiful gun!

Back