• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

An Original Revolutionary Musket and Horn

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
A rare glimpse of an untouched revolutionary war musket. The flint is the same one installed by the soldier! In the same family for generations. Yeh, I wish it was mine!

Lewis20Fisher20musket1.jpg

Lewis20Fisher20musket20close-up1.jpg

Lewis20Fisher20powder20horn3.jpg

Lewis20Fisher20powder20horn4.jpg

Where's the family at, especially during the Mother of American Family Feuds (1861-65)?

I was reading that not only did the Yankees take all the guns and destroy them, but they took shot pouches, hunting bags and horns too. :cry: While I understand the military necessity, darn if we didn't lose a lot of our cultural heritage. :curse:

Suggest they have the oldest member of the family sign (and have notarized) the statement about the gun & horn. Might was well start a paper trail. May be worthwhile doing a genealogical search too at the National Archives. Treat the gun with Rennaisance Wax (developed by the British Museum) to protect it. It may be applied to wood, metal & leather. BTW, where has the family been? Did they move to FL after the war or are they still in Jersey. The reason why I ask is that the Union troops frequently siezed firearms and destroyed them. If there's a story as to why this gun survived, have it documented too.

Is this the original horn that goes with this musket? If so is the flask head original to the horn or was it added later. Not meaning to nit pick but I am trying to learn more about flasks.

Yeah, the flask tip and the Third Model Land Pattern hammer (c. 1797 & later) kind of take it past the Revolution, at least as "unaltered" condition. Barrel looks to be bobbed some, but that may be "period" as it still accomidates the bayonet. The lock is kind of flat. My guess is the musket is a third model and is post-revolution . . . ours, at least.

Is this the original horn that goes with this musket? If so is the flask head original to the horn or was it added later. Not meaning to nit pick but I am trying to learn more about flasks.

This is the same equipment the soldier carried, unless the family is lying, or they need a history education? I think it may be the latter choice!~

I suspect you are right. The guard without a branch and the cock with a straight comb indicate the India pattern which was issued to the regiments in 1793-94. The unreinforced cock indicates a pre 1809 date.I would like to see the other side as well as the guard and other furniture.I did some checking and there was a unit of New Jersey Volunteers {1776-1783} also known as Skinner's Greens because of the green facings on their regimentals.There is another problem; units such as these didn't receive the latest issuance of arms.The family apparently came from New Brunswick in Nova Scotia and there were India pattern muskets present in Canada, See "The Military Arms of Canada" by The Upper Canada Historical Arms Society , Historical Arms Series No.1. I tend to doubt this gun being used in the American Revolution and the war of 1812 seems more likely.If Lewis Fisher did fight in the Revolution with a New Jersey loyalist unit and I don't doubt he did since many New England Loyalists fled to Canada after the war,I think he fought with a different weapon.As to the horn, I don't know. The carved inscription on the plug doesn't seem to gibe with any information I have seen here with the gun and horn and I would like to know what the "51" means.I look foward to any other info and/or comments
Tom Patton :imo:

This is the same equipment the soldier carried, unless the family is lying, or they need a history education? I think it may be the latter choice!~

This happens fairly often, as in a family swearing up and down that the 1851 Colt Navy pistol they have was carried by their ancestor in the Mexican American War.

Great gun and horn, I just bought an original trade gun in the same untouched condition, super history lesson.
:front:

TheGunCellar

Back