• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

An idea to ponder.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wire

32 Cal.
Reaction score
I would like to see traditional muzzleloader hunting seasons in VA. Or any other state for that matter allow traditional hunters into the woods two weeks before the inline guys get into the woods.I would like to see us band together and make a change for our own sake.The inline Pandora is already out of the box so that cant be changed.But I would like to see seperate seasons for the two types of muzzleloader.What do you my traditional brothers think.

I'm a traditionalist when it comes to many things, especially muzzleloaders - however, as much as I don't care for "in-lines".....they are still muzzleloaders. Most deer hunting seasons in most states are likely done through some sort of political process. I'll use WI as an example since this process I'm most familiar with. In WI, the muzzleloader/black powder lobby is not strong enough to subdivide into two different factions and accomplish anything separately, so like it or not, we all need to work together for the mutual benefit of a muzzleloader season that both can enjoy. In my hunting group, the in-line users are chastised quite heavily.....but still in good fun in hope that they will "see the light" someday.

I reckon my point is this - we ( muzzleloader types ) need to work together when it comes to our BP/MZLDR Seasons and "agree to disagree" on traditional vs non-traditional on the side.

Regards, Vic

I've gotta agree with TraderVic, Boomer. We've got to start working together to protect our freedoms and not creating divisions. We'll be much stronger if we do.

I've come to see legislated 'fairness' as the enemy of freedom. Look at it this way. You have one Muzzleloader season. You are free to choose whatever kind of M/L you want; be it flinter, percussion sidelock, or inline. The freedom of this arrangement is greater than one where there's one M/L season for 'traditional' guns and another for inlines. Once the 'traditional' season was declared, some would advocate yet another 'more traditional' season for flinters, or PRB shooters or whatever.

This will never end and there will always be someone dissatisfied. And the more fairness that's legislated, the less freedom there will be; not to mention the unintentional unfairness that always seems to be a byproduct of 'fairness' legislation.

When you think about it the only totally 'fair' approach to this is to eliminate the freedom to hunt deer entirely. That way everyone suffers an equal amount because no one can hunt. Therefore:
Maximum Fairness = Zero Freedom
Hopefully our elected officials won't take this approach to bestowing fairness on all.

On this forum, the issue of being historically correct is taken quite seriously. So what is the historically correct approach to the issue you raise? In the case of our American forebears, would it not be to maximize freedom?

I'm aware that this is no longer the America of the 1830s. We do need game laws and seasons. Still it seems we have more than enough already and to demand more is to directly oppose the spirit of the period our hobby harkens back to.
FWIW
Bob

I don't worry as much about the inlines . I have been watching guys trying to use them to get the extra hunting time. They don't learn to use the gun. Most load the thing the day before the season starts and don't fool with it again until they try to shoot it. From what I have seen about eight out of ten won't fire (condensation) and the other two are trying to hit a deer at three hundred yards.
Old Charlie

I have observed the same as Old Charlie. Most of the in-line users are only "weekend muzzleloaders" and are not proficient with their guns. Yes....some kill deer and some don't. I reckon the law of averages will result in some tags being filled, however - the typical in-line user is a deer shooter and not a deer hunter and yes, I'm speaking for myself ( only ) based on what I've seen and the in-line users that I have talked to. I see this also when teaching muzzleloading during a Hunter Safety Course.

Regards, Vic

Back