• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Ammo for Gibbs Muzzleloader Rifle

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The Pedersoli Gibbs that I acquired a few months ago has the bore of .451 stamped on the breech area of the barrel. I'll tell you this that a .451 bullet is an absolute no go. When I bought the gun a near full box of 1-20 alloy, SPG lubed, 540 grain bullets came with it. They had been sized to .449. First time at the range these bullets seemed to start ok but pushing them down was very difficult. After close examination, I determined that the bullets hadn't been fully size over the full length of the bearing surface. After running them completely through a .449 sizer they worked but were still a tad tight. I suspect a .448 sizing of a grease groove bullet would work fine for the Gibbs but confess I've not tried it. In the mean time I had Accurate Molds make me a paper patch 540 grain bullet which throws .442 bullet from 1-40 alloy. With a couple wraps of onion skin paper it brings it up to where it needs to be and best off its shooting very promising groups at 100 yards which is, so far, all I've been able to test them.
Thanks for the info!

The Pedersoli Gibbs that I acquired a few months ago has the bore of .451 stamped on the breech area of the barrel. I'll tell you this that a .451 bullet is an absolute no go. When I bought the gun a near full box of 1-20 alloy, SPG lubed, 540 grain bullets came with it. They had been sized to .449. First time at the range these bullets seemed to start ok but pushing them down was very difficult. After close examination, I determined that the bullets hadn't been fully size over the full length of the bearing surface. After running them completely through a .449 sizer they worked but were still a tad tight. I suspect a .448 sizing of a grease groove bullet would work fine for the Gibbs but confess I've not tried it. In the mean time I had Accurate Molds make me a paper patch 540 grain bullet which throws .442 bullet from 1-40 alloy. With a couple wraps of onion skin paper it brings it up to where it needs to be and best off its shooting very promising groups at 100 yards which is, so far, all I've been able to test them.
Thanks for the info!

Thanks for the info!

Thanks for the info!

Thanks for the info!

Thanks for the info!

Sews it up, right there...
"The best bullet you can use in your new "not" Gibbs"not"Metford Pedersoly is the one that punches holes in the centre of the black at the range you shoot at.. "

My preferred .45 rifle is heptagonal 24" twist and .458 bore to use 45-70 molds.
thanks for the info!

Thanks for the info!

Not real "PC" but I have powder coated a few slugs for shooting out of my Gibbs with the slower twist and they have worked. It's one way to find out which diameter you're looking for without having to buy a series of expensive molds until you find the right diameter. Just a thought.

Not real "PC" but I have powder coated a few slugs for shooting out of my Gibbs with the slower twist and they have worked. It's one way to find out which diameter you're looking for without having to buy a series of expensive molds until you find the right diameter. Just a thought.
Thanks for the info!

I’d suggest you purchase a box of bullets from Buffalo Arms. Dave offers them in a few weights and sizes that you can patch to fit your bore - assuming you know exactly what it is?
They are swaged ML bullets with a slight cavity base..

Latest posts

Back