• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

american pioneer powder

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tracy

40 Cal.
Reaction score
I bought some American pioneer powder fffg premium grade,the label said for use in muzzleloaders and black powder cartridge firearms.When I got home I read the warning label on the side of the can.In the warning it said use as a direct replacement for black powder and black powder replacements only in inline muzzleloaders and black powder cartridge firearms.Apparently I cant use this in a sidelock?I should have read the warning before I purchased it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Just as well. Once you open the can, the stuff has the life expectancy of a political promise, it deteriorates so quickly. Pour it on your lawn.

:metoo:
BrownBear said:
Once you open the can, the stuff has the life expectancy of a political promise, it deteriorates so quickly ...
I found that happened too ... VERY inconsistent between shooting sessions. Very accurate when it worked though.
However, it was sooooooo unpredictable that I gave up on it! That experience was back when I used percussion arms.

I gave up on them too ... so now it is black powdah, flintlocks, matchlocks and hand gonnes forever!

Although it says to only use it in in-line guns it will usually work ok in your traditional sidelock gun.

It isn't a matter of danger.

The reason for the "in-line" comment is because these guns usually have a very short, direct path between the cap or primer and the powder.

That short distance doesn't cool the flame from the cap like the longer "fire channel" often found in traditional sidelock percussion guns does.

In other words, the powder is safe to shoot but you should expect to have some mis-fires or hang-fires.

Use your existing powder measure and measure out the same quantity as you would if you were loading black powder.

Like the others said, this powder does leave things to be desired but now that you have it, use it.
It will work and if your just shooting for fun it will do the job.

Besides, just pouring it out on the ground is a total waste of money.

It will work in a percussion sidelock...well kinda.

What Brownbear said is exactly my experience. It wasn't even good when I opened it. Here's what I mean by that. These are average chrono speeds in a .54 with a .530 ball using 90 grs 2F of each powder.

"Fresh" Pioneer: 1286 fps
3 month old Pioneer: 796 fps
Triple 7 1933 fps

I have about 2 pounds left for anyone that wants it. :barf:

Not in my experience, nor does Pyrodex. I've got some that's been around since the beginning, and even in our wet climate it's holding up fine.

Colorado Clyde said:
BrownBear said:
Just as well. Once you open the can, the stuff has the life expectancy of a political promise, it deteriorates so quickly. Pour it on your lawn.

And pollute your lawn?... :doh:

Unlike smokeless powder, BP & subs are water soluble and break down into nitrogen and components readily available to provide plant nutrition.

I got a chance this week to try this powder.I used Remington number 11 caps and I could not tell any difference between it and real black.Accuracy was pretty good.I don't have a chronograph so I set up 5 milk jugs full of water and shot them with APP FFFG PYRODEX RS and triple 7ffg 50 grain charges behind 250 grain Minnie ball.The pyrodex and APP went through 4 jugs but did not penetrate the 5th.The Triple 7 was in the 4th jug.Clean up with this powder was very easy.At this point I am very happy with it.

Spikebuck said:
It will work in a percussion sidelock...well kinda.

What Brownbear said is exactly my experience. It wasn't even good when I opened it. Here's what I mean by that. These are average chrono speeds in a .54 with a .530 ball using 90 grs 2F of each powder.

"Fresh" Pioneer: 1286 fps
3 month old Pioneer: 796 fps
Triple 7 1933 fps

I have about 2 pounds left for anyone that wants it. :barf:

Interesting and valuable info there.

Was gifted some 'Jim Shockey’s Golld premium grade' American Pioneer' powder. Tried it just to see what it did. Best I can say about it was that it was a 'fart in the wind'. Made some noise. Not sure it would make acceptable fertilizer.

Back