• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

America’s Tropical Cowboys

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Flash Pan Dan said:
SuperCracker, Sir, May I impose on you to elaborate on who the “Florida cow hunters” were and their type and use of weaponry?

No problem.

In a nutshell, the Spanish settlers let their livestock (pigs and cows) roam free. After they left there was still a big population of cattle running around Florida. There was good money in making expeditions to find them, round them up and drive them to market. Fortunes were made doing so. Of course, that also made Florida kind of a rough place to be. From what I understand Arcadia and other central Florida towns made Dodge City look like a Disneyland.

From The history Channel.

Florida Crackers: America's Tropical Cowboys

Attacks on Spanish settlements and livestock reached a crescendo in de­cades to come as rival English colonists from the Carolinas joined in the fray. By the late 1700s, Florida was only loosely controlled by Spain and offered refuge to the Seminole, who broke away from the Creek tribe to the north, and to restless Anglo-Ameri­cans. Those white intruders were “no­madic like Arabs,” wrote the Spanish governor in the 1780s, and were “distinguished from savages only in their color, language, and superiority of their depraved cunning and untrustworthiness.” Their fellow Americans called them Crackers.

The Crackers who infiltrated Florida while it was still nominally Spanish had more than a little in common with the Seminole and early Spanish settlers. They loved riding and hunting, resented authorities who tried to restrict their movements, and counted their wealth largely in livestock. Many were of Celtic ancestry and had emigrated from Ireland, Wales, or Scotland, where free-range cattle herding was an ancient tradition.

Raising cattle was relatively easy in the Deep South because winters were mild and the animals did not have to be sheltered in barns and fed hay or grain. They could roam free until their owners rounded them up and drove them to market. Back-country Southerners also raised corn and other crops, and their fields were sometimes trampled by unpenned livestock, but courts seldom held herders liable for the damage. When Georgia, Alabama, and the Carolinas became too crowded for their free-roaming ways, Crackers headed west toward Texas or south into Florida and helped transform both those Spanish provinces into American possessions.

My family is descended from them. I was raised by my Grandfather in Ne Florida, who grew up in extreme SE Ga in an area that the family had inhabitited since they were politely asked to leave Ireland sometime in the late 18th century. Or so I have always been told. He worked cattle as did his father and presumably his. I was raised around them and was working cattle with him from the time I was very young. I have only just recently started looking into the Cracker Cowboys but the more I do the more I see similarities with my own life. Weird little pecularities that I can only assume have just been being done in the family since then.

In any case I've been shown spanish references to these cow hunters carrying short, half and three quarter stocked rifles on slings. One even says that the rifles were "finished in a manner not ordinary" (as close as I can remember) I take this to mean they were modifying rifles to use on horseback in the swamps here. Probably shortening and adding slings.

I have chased escaped cows on horseback through the woods and swamps here. A lot of time will be spent ducking under live oaks and weaving through tall palmetto scrub. a rifle with a 44" barrel would be an unimaginable PITA. Probably close to 30 would be good. My Grandfather had a 16" barreled 16ga SxS for doing just that.

As an interesting note, the wild boar we hunt today are, in large part, the descendants of the pigs and boar that Ponce DeLeon and the gang turned loose. There are also still good populations of wild horses and cattle to be found in some parts of central Fl. I know of at least two WMAs that have both.

Indeed, thank you SuperCracker. That was highly informative and has peaked my interest enough that I will do some further research on the region and people of that time.

Thank you for a greta post and link Supercracker, another part of history will be opened to many now who likely never thought about the topic, I am one of them, thanks again,now were the comfortably retired cows on the Florida beeches geneticaly the same as those less fortunate ones eeking a living from the Texas scrub brush that we would come to call the famous "Longhorns?"

now were the comfortably retired cows on the Florida beeches geneticaly the same as those less fortunate ones eeking a living from the Texas scrub brush that we would come to call the famous "Longhorns?"

No, You could tell, cuz the ones here talked funny!
:rotf: :rotf:

Haha, no. I don't think so. I think the cattle we think of as "Longhorns" were the result of mixing Watusis with some english thing beast.

Here is an excellent read from the University of Central Florida/Orlando. "Florida Cow Hunter/The Life and Times of Bone Mizell" by Jim Bob Tinsley. This book gives much history of the cow hunters along with the history of a most colorful character. Bone once paid a gambling fine in court with poker chips using the rational, that when arrested, there was no money on the table, and that the game was being played for chips only, but the sheriff had insisted that chips were as good as money as far as breaking the law was concerned. Bone said if chips were as good as money then, they were as good as money to pay the fine with, and the judge had to agree.

If I remember correctly long horns come from a cross of old world whitepark cattle and corrientes from Mexico. Florida cattle are slightly different, Jandal Corrientes, but are close enough to be the same thing. Zebus, or humpbacked bovine, were introduced into the blood line later on in history.
This is a pretty good write up on the breed. Sure do miss home when yall start talkin about it. http://albc-usa.org/cpl/floridacrackercattle.html

Last edited by a moderator:
YOu'd know better than I would. While I was raised working with cattle it was all either roping them, getting them ready for team roping or getting them fattened up and recovered from being roped.

I was raised, literally, at a team/calf roping arena. My GF ran it and we lived there.

I found the sketches that were sent to me a while back. These were from the early 19th century.

1818a.jpg

1806.jpg

Nice art work. In the early years, when they used the spaniards as a buffer between them and the british, many Seminole and Mikasuki had vast herds of this breed of cattle. Been around them and they can be pretty rank, kinda like longhorns.

The book I recommended has five more works of Remington of FL cowboys from 1895 that were published in Harpers magazine. One very good one on the cover.

A little off topic , but didn"t the term Cracker come from the noise of the long whips used by the cow hunters , they say it sounded as loud as a shotgun going off. Some were over 20 feet long . As to the cattle being simular to our Texas Longhorns , they were just as deadly and would stalk a man on foot and gore and trample him . Being that they (both the Florida and the Texas longhorn stock) came from Spain I wouldn"t doubt that they weere related . :thumbsup:

gordy said:
A little off topic , but didn"t the term Cracker come from the noise of the long whips used by the cow hunters , they say it sounded as loud as a shotgun going off. Some were over 20 feet long . As to the cattle being simular to our Texas Longhorns , they were just as deadly and would stalk a man on foot and gore and trample him . Being that they (both the Florida and the Texas longhorn stock) came from Spain I wouldn"t doubt that they weere related . :thumbsup:

My 12'er is considerably louder than a .22. probably on par with the .380 I carry around.

Had an interesting experience and revelation over Thanksgiving. As always it was at my grandmothers. My mom had found a bag of old super 8 (??) tapes in the attic and had them converted to dvd for everyone to watch as a surprise to my GM.

There's a few minutes of me as a little kid being put on a horse and shown how to rope a dummy head by my Great Grandfather, who I mentioned above.

This was in about 74 or 75 and the best anyone can tell he was in his late 80s then. Which would put his birth date at about 1885-1890 and had him start really working at the turn of the century.

It occurred to me that my training to do all this was begun by someone who was running around chasing cattle back when there was still some wild in it.

Cool and interesting.

Thats very interesting Supercracker. I hadnt been home, the Everglades in 8 years but we went home this last summer for a week. Amazing how much things have changed but one of my uncles maintains that he still has to deal with rank wild cracker cattle from time to time when he is out in the boonies. So there are still some wild ones out there.

Micanopy said:
Thats very interesting Supercracker. I hadnt been home, the Everglades in 8 years but we went home this last summer for a week. Amazing how much things have changed but one of my uncles maintains that he still has to deal with rank wild cracker cattle from time to time when he is out in the boonies. So there are still some wild ones out there.

at a WMA, which shall remain unnamed, by Lake Okeechobee I actually stalked to within about 30 yards of a big red feral bull then realized I was about a 2 mile walk from the truck and was in no way interested in making that pack out.

Still a question mark as to whether or not it would've been legal.

Latest posts

Back