• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Alternative Projectiles?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
iS beeswax hard enough to melt down and form in roundball moulds or what could you mix with it to make it harder?

windwalker_au said:
i have used a hard foam ruber that they sit glass on for transport just used a wod punch to punch some out then used a patch with a 15 to 30 grn load it shot quite well i will post some picks so you can see what i mean to dark now to find in the shed will post tomorow night.
bernie :thumbsup:
Sounds interesting...

X-Ring reusable rubber bullets at Midway

.44cals are .430dia...my .45cal rifles are .450.

A .020" lubed patch should make a pretty snug fit, shouldn't it?

:hmm:
[url] http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpage.exe/showproduct?saleitemid=257438[/url]

Last edited by a moderator:
heres the pic roundball its not the best but you can see what i mean they are very safe as the dont go far and wont do harm if they hit any one just sting.the biger of the two is 9/16 and the smaller one is 1/2 inch good for .54 and .50 cal.
bernie :thumbsup:
100_4793.jpg

Sounds good...and that's just dense hard rubber like a floor mat might be made of to put in front of a workbench?

And I suspect they would be reusable, particularly when used with a patch...make up 100 and be good to go for a while

Not round ball, but a smooth bore shot alternative I experimented with after reading of such.

In the fusil de chasse, I have used small pea gravel in triple wrapped corn shuck tubes and taken rabbits with them.

Plink said:
Standard paintballs are .68 . . . They're pretty fragile though, so I doubt they'd make it down the barrel without shattering. Compressed air is a lot easier on them than anything powder powered would be.

A standard paintball in a denim (IIRC) patch but with no wads, loaded in a 12ga cylinder bore caplock, over enough 3F to completely fill in behind them (~20gr IIRC) worked reliably, but probably produced more velocity than allowed in paintballing. I never got around to trying 2F, but it would likely produce lower velocities.

The shotgun had a flash channel that came out in the centre-rear, not from the side, so I wasn't concerned about asymmetric pressures. I don't know how it would work in a plain-breeched flint/cap gun with the ignition from the side.

One could possibly go with a lighter charge if one loaded the patched paintball over an overshot card and a cornmeal (or other granular) cushion. Something like that might work with a chambered breech, or a side-ignition plain breech, too.

Joel

Of course, we could mould you some hard wax balls in your favorite caliber. I have bee's wax and a variety of moulds...

CS

CrackStock said:
Of course, we could mould you some hard wax balls in your favorite caliber. I have bee's wax and a variety of moulds...

CS
There you go...I have a GM .54cal Flint smoothbore barrel...if you're serious, send me a mailing address & price for a couple hundred .530s...or if you'd prefer a different caliber let me know that...might be the start of a new cottage industry!

While waiting to see what else might develop, I've decided to at least try some wax bullets first...have 1000 .44cal(.429dia) coming for $20/delivered.

They're not "round balls" but should work for very basic close range in a .45cal x 1:48" with .020"-.025" patching...maybe shoot beverage cans or something...action targets are fun...then again, they may spray all over the place...but for $20....so we'll see.

Maybe I can win over an aging baby boomer liberal neighbor in the process
:grin:[url] http://www.gunfighter.com/waxbullets[/url]/

Last edited by a moderator:
if you're serious,

Yes, I was serious, but out of towm. Actually, up in your state at a RevWar event -- Rural Hill Farm at Huntersville.

I am not looking for business, there would be no charge. I was just percolating as to how to cast these. Never cat bee's wax in an aluminum mould and am not sure of the outer diameter that woudl result. I guess a cool mould lubed with olive oil and double boiler...

I was thinking of just casting up a hundred .535s for you to try. I am not sure that I have a .530 mould, but will look.

CS

I haven't tried this but here's a thought - what about either a moulded bullet made from heat gun glue or if you were really lucky you might find a heat glue gun stick about the right calibre. I guess you'd have to 'sabot' it somewhat in case you gummed up the barrel! Do you know the sticks I talking of - translucent plastic things.It may even cast in a regular mould - worth a try.
Incidently this stuff makes great electrical connections .... twist the wires together and melt a bit in a flame or whatever and coat the whole connection - waterproof and strong. Every tool box should have some with a cigarette lighter to melt it.

Well, I spent some time trying to get some bee's wax clean and mold a few. What a mess! This does not work like lead at all. The wax just does not want to come out. Has anyone gotten this process to work with wax? Any tricks would be appreciated. I tried olive oil as a release agent, but maybe I had trouble with my heat...

I finally just ran some more .40 lead ball when I got frustrated with the wax mess. Some success was had since the .40s came out well and I also got my canteen rewaxed inside as well, so there was some benefit.

CS

I appreacite you trying though...since they won't melt and pour like lead, just run out an buy a .440 swaging machine...let us know when they're ready :rotf:

In the meantime I had ordered one of those bags of a 1000 wax bullets in .429...hopefully they'll shoot OK in a .45 with a .020" patch.

:hmm: ...reminds me...I ordered those things over a week ago...better follow up 'cause they're not here yet

Back