• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Allen Box Lock

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WKD

32 Cal.
Reaction score
Anybody have experience with Allen Box Lock actions?
Pictures of your build?

No pictures. I built a rifle in the style of some of Gemmer's (who bought the Hawken shop from Sam Hawken) Sharps/Spenser rifles.

I used one of Pete Allan's small box locks. Got it from the Gun Works along with the custom barrel that I mated it up to (Oregon barrels are well made barrels and love the "total customization" they offer in a relatively short turn-around time).

The lock worked fine, was well made (I use Pete's breeches almost exclusively on my builds - trust the product 100%) was a little pricey (think I paid about 300 bucks to my door a few years back), but it suited the build I wanted to do.

I have no desire to build another with this style of lock and have long since sold the gun off.

It's a whole different style of build from the traditional's that I prefer to build.

I built an underhammer using an Allen underhammer action. It works very well, all parts are large and well designed. The trigger pull was fine out of the box. No complaints.

I would not hesitate to use any of Pete's products.

Thanks for the input. I too am a traditional builder, primarily flint. I just got fascinated with one I recently saw and I am nearing completion on a spoken for fowler. I think I may build a box lock deer gun for myself for next year.

Thanks for the picture, the trigger pull is one of my primary concerns the quote "trigger is non adjustable" was the only negative I came up with, well not the only negative- it's not a flint!

I used it to build a (faster) twist, 45 caliber that resembled this contemporary take on a Gemmer Sharps rifle.

gemmer%20sharps_zpssfpxi8oa.jpg

I had the barrel cut down by the builder and had them send me the "stub" that was left over to use to imprint bullets (pure lead 45 colt) to be fired by the faster twist (just lubed, without a paper patch - so kinda "homemade" REAL bullets).

The rifle was heavy since even the small box lock requires a 3/4-16 breech thread, so I went with 1" ATF barrel.

It was my first attempt at building a longer range muzzle loader.

I wasn't happy with the results and it didn't fit into my "style" of rifles so I sold it after little use.

I was really intrigued with the lock design and "looked" for something I could put one on.

But as stated, it was outside of my normal interest and while I will build another long range rifle some day, it will be a more traditional rifle and it will be a 40 cal.

I have 2 of them. Top one is a long range ML in .45 cal. with a trigger pull of 1.75 lbs. The bottom one is my version of the perfect hunting rifle in a .54 cal fast twist barrel with a 4 lb trigger.

You can adjust the trigger pull if you can use a file.

Quality is good, I would recommend buying one if this what you re looking for.

Been a while since either one has gone hunting, might just have to take the .54 out in a week or so.

Don Stith, used to cut stocks for these, I assume he still does. I provided my own wood.

fleener

Fleener these are the type I am after(especially the .54). Is the finish rust blue, heat blue or bottle blue? Whatever it is it looks good.

heavy recoil gun, two 2 underlugs. Do not use staples for the wedge key.

fleener

The internals are fairly simplistic. The spring is a coil spring.

Fleener

Back