• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

ALL TC OWNERS - NEWS and a WARNING!

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks for the eminder to put my order in. Wanted to get a frizzen to experiment with calibrated carburization in a friends pottery kiln. It's back ordered but there's no hurry.

Walks Alone said:
Kentuckywindage said:
TC over pimped their brand and now look where it got them.

Where it got them in almost 44 years is respected as one of the best fiream MFG's in this country, with a warranty that became the model for other firearm MFG's to strive for. Respected by at least their million plus loyal customers and at least a few of their competitors. The break-action platforms that have been the backbone of their company from the start are still on top and still the best readily available of their kind for reasonable cost. Sure their traditonal muzzies have suffered from changing times and attitudes, but then so have they for all the companies that make/made them. TC's biggest business mistake probably was trying to break into modern rifles - not their field, with not enough resources and against massive long established competition. That's not much different than those that tried to unseat their dominance of the reasonably priced break-action, switch barrel pistol and rifle field. Unfortunately the lawyers got rid of the Contender that was TC's staple for 30+ years and current affairs may send their replacement G2's away as well, but I seriously doubt the Encores will ever go away.

Just the opinion of one of those loyal customers who used and owned far more (in sheer numbers) of their products than the vast majority, and continually since 1968.

FWIW

Because I like their tradtional muzzleloaders and Contender/Encore, I don't often think of their entry into the bolt gun market. As you say, they might have over-extended there or made themselves a target. Buying the competition is always a good way to get rid of it, or maybe Remington wanted part of the Icon design.

To me, what made TC different in the old days was their willingness to try something different. It wasn't as though the world was clamoring for a single shot pistol in oddball calibers in 1965, but they did it. The same thing can be said of their entry into production muzzleloaders. The corporate mentality now is to have marketing find out what people are buying, then build and push more of the same. TC was different, and that's what I'll miss.

GoodCheer said:
Thanks for the eminder to put my order in. Wanted to get a frizzen to experiment with calibrated carburization in a friends pottery kiln. It's back ordered but there's no hurry.
Good Luck
I've been waiting over 3 weeks for an order,longest I ever had to wait on T/C.

Even if TC did fall off the edge of the earth tomorrow, there would still be millions of them around. Many enough for our lifetimes and a monument to their success.

Well, we will just have to wait and see. As for Remington's concern about quality, check out recent Remington-branded line of inexpensive Russian shotguns. Doesn't speak too highly in that regard.

Geraldo said:
...To me, what made TC different in the old days was their willingness to try something different. It wasn't as though the world was clamoring for a single shot pistol in oddball calibers in 1965, but they did it. The same thing can be said of their entry into production muzzleloaders. The corporate mentality now is to have marketing find out what people are buying, then build and push more of the same. TC was different, and that's what I'll miss.
I'm sure marketing played a very large role in every "new venture" TC dove into pard. But TC did really start changing in the late 90's, in part because some of the long term and best employees that held supervisory/management positions started to leave TC. As personal friends for many years with a couple of them I felt their loosing Ken about 10 years ago and later when Tim retired was a wake up call that the end was coming. With my opinion of S&W I fully expected them taking over to be the knife that was going to cut the final straw.

Walks Alone said:
Maybe you'll notice I said in the OP its hearsay and not officially confirmed. So yes, the TC Rep at the SHOT Show may be AKA Chicken Little. But an update is an update when so many are affected by what is transpiring. So most would consider any news offered responsibly as better than no news at all.

"Hopefully a press release will confirm a full disclosure soon, so only take this as it was offered until then please..... until its confirmed by S&W and/or Remington....."

TC's light bills have been paid for almost 44 years by the Contender/G2/Encore platforms, not the muzzies.

With the way the bulk of the muzzleloader business has changed to "modern" platforms, I'm surprised anybody still makes entry level sidelocks. You can pretty well be sure your world won't be rocked though. TC had its hayday with expanded sidelock models long ago, but they obviously were not money makers to a high enough level to continue to offer them.

an update is an upate is a WARNING

... in all caps in the subject line of your original post :shake:

and as a FYI the Contender is a modern firearm Ive been scolded for discussing them now you go get scolded too :nono:

Im starting a new thread: Which Thompson Center Side hammer to carry for self defense or: is it Ok to carry concealed BP weapons against light armored vehicles if they are period correct? :rotf:

Im not even going to address the comment about T/C being one of the best firearms manufacturers in the country (cuz theres more than a few that make some pretty darn good stuff here in the U.S. if ya look past the department store BP replica market)

* Geraldo Said:
...To me, what made TC different in the old days was their willingness to try something different.

That was the American way.

Mark Lewis said:
Big Green has pretty much destroyed the other holdings its bought the fast few years,

False.....They've improved every company they've bought.

Glad to see things looking up at T/C.

I wish I could agree with you Mark, but if you go over to the Marlin Owners forum under their 308/338 Marlin Express section, you will see that an alarming number of people who have bought the "new" Marlins made by Remington are having serious problems with them. Barrel misalignment, poor metal machining, terrible metal to wood fitting - ask any devoted Marlin owner on that forum and they will tell you that real Marlins are no longer being made. And as for customer service, there are many of these folks who sent in their dysfunctional new Marlin rifle over six months ago for repairs, and have still not gotten them back. I do hope, if this rumor is true, that TC fares better than Marlin has, although here's my prediction: If Cerberus purchases TC, the sidehammer line will be dropped faster than a frog leaping out of hot water. I do hope I am incorrect.

Just J said:
an update is an upate is a WARNING

... in all caps in the subject line of your original post :shake:

and as a FYI the Contender is a modern firearm Ive been scolded for discussing them now you go get scolded too :nono:

Yep, a WARNING! As it said to get any parts, etc you need now just in case this is all true.

Admin realizes the purpose of this palaver was to update the traditional members here about TC the company, and because it might effect TC's muzzie products and their owners. The discussion may have lead to TC's other products and what effect they may pose on the main reason for the post, but it was not a discussion of modern firearms, it has been a discussion about TC.

A mod has been here and it hasn't bothered him enough to kill/move the thread becaue he probably see's value in it for any TC owners here.
:thumbsup:

Your comments didn't add anything worthwhile to the discussion.

paradox said:
Maybe if a few of us go work at T/C for a fair sum, they'd reconsider selling/etc. anybody in? :)

if I can take a rifle home every month for me....when do I start :grin:

This sounds like a good excuse to pick up a TC at a pawn shop for spare parts :wink: I need a few TC parts so may look the pawn shops over. Or put an order in before its to late. And I am afraid it will be sooner than later. Larry Wv

well Id argue that the discussion had very little value to begin with so no great loss Ok?

You are entitled to your opinion, so argue all you want, that's your choice. But the thread and the comments by others to it had far more value to the other folks here than anything you've added.

Walks Alone said:
You are entitled to your opinion, so argue all you want, that's your choice. But the thread and the comments by others to it had far more value to the other folks here than anything you've added.

yeah Ok thanks for the warning

WA, thanks for posting this...as a 20 year high volume user/shooter/hunter with many TC Hawkens I came to know the TC company pretty well...and Service Manager Tim Pancurak, retired several years ago now, was an outstanding individual, committed to excellent customer service.

And based on Remington's changes and track record the past 2 decades...IMO, and I say this as a lifelong Remington bigot...I have no confidence Remington and or will do anything that would improve / re-establish what used to be a strong T/C presence in the sidelock muzzleloader world.

Tim Pancurak was a very good person to deal with! I no longer have a TC sidelock, nor do I have my Contender any longer. TC service was ok of late, but no where near when Tim was there. In my opinion for what it is worth.

Back