• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Alaskan Brown Bear.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
72 Cal. said:
I watched a video of Fred Bear shooting a Brown Bear with his recurve bow only a few yards form where he stood. The bear went down the beach a little ways and fell over dead. I absolutely understand that Big brown bear are very dangerous and can kill a person with one swipe of those big claws and eat you for lunch.
My guide would have a backup rifle appropriate for the situation.
Kent.

If you watched that Fred Bear video, you also saw the guide with a modern high-powered rifle very close to him during the whole process. Fred must have paid big $$$$ to that guide for him to put his life on the line for some guy with a recurve. :slap:

I would rather not show a picture of the kill, since it has my face, and given my current occupation it could get me in a lot of trouble.... Sadly
I took the wolf by Dalbo MN, it was on the Sunday of opener, I had already gotten my deer with a rifle, so I took to the bow. I had a wolf tag, but that was mainly for my party.
I heard a bunch of shooting and then the wolf came running by a few minutes later. I had a doe bleat, which I used to stop the wolf, which then came in to 20 yards. Clean kill, the arrow took the heart from what I could tell, dropped it right there.
It was a lucky kill, and I was actually afraid that it was not legal, b/c I did not know if it was legal to use a bow. A later talk with the DNR provided that it was legal, but they did not know if anyone else had gotten one.
like I said, luck, not skill got the wolf.

Patocazador said:
If you watched that Fred Bear video, you also saw the guide with a modern high-powered rifle very close to him during the whole process. Fred must have paid big $$$$ to that guide for him to put his life on the line for some guy with a recurve.

If I recall correctly, the guide was Ed Bilderback and they showed him on the deck of the Valient Maid shooting bottles out of the air with a rifle...never missed one of them. Just the kind of guy I'd want behind me on a Brown Bear hunt. As of a few years ago anyway, Ed was still alive and living in Arizona.

A couple of years ago I took a nice blonde bear north of the artic circle in Alaska with a modern rifle. It did go into the alders and it was dead. It was a rush.

Not sure if I would go after a griz with a BP rifle. But that is your choice.

If you go to Alaska hunting with BP you will not be able to legally fly on a bush plane with black powder if it is a chartered plane. It is against the USDOT regulations. I am the holder of a USDOT special permit that allows me to fly on a bush plane in AK and be legal. To my knowledge I am the only one that has this.

Be very careful if you intend to load a bp cartridge with the intent of pulling the bullet. That could be frowned on and might get you in trouble if caught.

If you are interested in becoming a party to my special permit, or applying for your own, send me a private email and I can help you out.

good luck
Fleener

In the early 1860s a British explorer, Samuel White Baker, undertook an expedition to find the source of the Blue Nile in Abyssinia (Ethiopia). He carried an arsenal of blackpowder weapons most of which were 10 ga. double rifles. He also had a double-barreled 8 ga. rifle and a single-barreled 4 ga. rifle named "Baby" which fired a lead ball of a half pound.
None of these were adequate to drop an elephant, rhino, hippo, or Cape buffalo with any consistency. Most of the time they were only wounded to die minutes to hours later. A few charged and it took several people firing several times to drop the beast.
I strongly suggest that you rethink your mission.

Okay - Just curious - if a 45/70 gov't is considered an adequate gun for grizzly why would a percussion or flint gun of 50 or 54 caliber firing a conical not be adequate - with the appropriate powder charge of maybe 100 - 120 grs?

Read it for yourself: "The Nile Tributaries of Abyssinia" by Sir Samuel White Baker.

I doubt if many people living have much actual experience with shooting big dangerous game with muzzleloading rifles. Sir Baker actually mixed his molten lead with mercury to harden the balls so that they would penetrate better.

fred bear, carry 44 under his shirt. read [field notes] by f b, good read not many like him. al

Latest posts

Back