• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

advise needed....Please....

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

L.B. Myers

32 Cal.
Reaction score
Hi all,

I am humbly looking for advise. My brain has been going too many directions while trying to pick a rifle (kit) to build. More importantly, I am driving the misses to drink. (without me) :)

Here

I am by no means the one to answer your question. From what I've read so far though, it does appear that the swamped barrel did fall from favor during the 'Golden Age', but, who can really say that they didn't make them......there's not that many that really survived, many did I know, but many more were used up and lost to attrition.

That said, if you are not trying to duplicate a particular rifle from one of the sources, say Kindig or Shumway, then build what you like and want. I would prefer the swamped barrel in the 54 as opposed to a straight barrel, but that's a personal preference. I'd for sure want a stragihter style butt plate than what I've seen on most GA rifles, especially with a .54.

You can't please everybody, so you might as well please yourself! :peace:

Anytime anyone states "always" or "never" when dealing with how they did it in the old days reach for the :bull: sign!

If you want a cheap trade rifle, then a straight, or tapered barrel would probably be a touch more authentic. But they were still making swamped barrels in the 1800's, and intalling them in fine rifles. If you are building it for yourself, build what you want, not what TOW may or may not have in stock!

Try talking to Suzie at Muzzleloader Builders Supply . The website isn't the best, but they have a fine catalog, and I have been really impressed with the service.

Yes the swamped barrel did fall from favor by the Golden Age though you can still find examples of swamped barrels from this time. In general though swamped barrels represent an earlier time. It was also not uncommon to restock components from earlier guns when the stock broke. Just another way you could end up with a swamped barreled gun on a stock made in the "Golden Age".

As I have been reminded on this Forum, the "Golden Age" describes a long time period. While I understand that late flintlocks tended to straight sided barrels, most people would say that swamped barrels were the norm for most of that time. Plus--you want a swamped barrel! There are many vendors out there, so I see no reason you shouldn't get what you want. Possibilities: Jim Chambers has an Isaac Haines with a 38" barrel in .54. I like his kits. Sellers of stock blanks often offer precarved stocks and will cut the channel to fit your barrel. With a precarved stock fit to your barrel, you essentially have what many kits offer, plus you get to pick the lock and furniture you like.

The Golden Age spanned the swamped and straight barrel periods. A late golden age rifle could have a straight barrel. Even some early swamped barrels were so slightly so as to be hard to see. Many people like swamped barrel "feel" in a rifle, but my best offhand shooter is a straight barrel (13/16 .45, 42"). I think a 15/16 barrel would be OK for a .54 hunting gun, but maybe not the best choice for bench work. The best groups I have seen recently were from straight-walled Green River barrels in Golden Age rifles--and they cost half of a swamped barrel.

Yes "straight" barrels were used twards the end of the "golden age". Although if you were to measure these with dial calipers or similar tools you would find most of these were swamped too. They just had too little swamp to see readily with out measuring tools. More obviously swamped barrels were generally earlier. To my eye these guns were more graceful, and in hand they balanced much better. I can't make myself believe that once you had a well balanced gun with a swamped barrel you would regret your decision to buy or build the gun. For my own use a swamped barrel is the way to go.

IMO, if you decide to go with a 42 inch straight barrel, the 15/16 octagon is a good size to use. It weighs in at 5.75 pounds.
I have a 1 inch X 42 straight barrel in .54 caliber (6.94 pounds). In my case, I bought a pre-inlet stock which was cut for a 1 inch octagon so I had to use that size.
That has made for a HEAVY (to me) rifle.
I have often wished I would have gotten the .58 cal (6.50 pounds) just to get some of the weight out of it.
(Yup, when your a skinny old fart shooting offhand, that 1/4 pound can help.)

The Green Mountain Swamped barrel in .54 cal x42 inch is listed by TOTW as weighing 5.00 pounds.

I don't know about you, but it sure is easier for me to hold a 42 inch long barreled gun on target if it is lighter in weight, and most of the weight is back towards the shooter.
:imo: :results:

Do you think that the old time gunmakers quit using swamped barrels all on the same date? I'm sure it was a gradual and there was some overlap. They didn't say, "well it's the Golden Age now , we need to start making straight barrels". I think that some companies create history to reflect their offerings. Build the rifle to make you happy and don't give a hoot about the opinions of others. If they worry about someone elses gun being PC, they need to get a life.

:m2c:

Thanks All,

I appreciate the advise. I have desided to go with the Pecatonica Early Lancaster kit with the swamped barrel. I'll let you all know how things progress.

Happy building! (and shooting)

L.B.

Back