• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

ABOUT ELK/MOOSE/BEAR

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

can i take theese animal with a patched round ball in a 1in66 .50, or shoould i use a ball-et ro conical type ammo?

can i take theese animal with a patched round ball in a 1in66 .50, or shoould i use a ball-et ro conical type ammo?

The difficulty with a general question and response is that there are so many variables such as distance, angle, view, rest, etc, so there can be several answers...

Having said that, if I was leaving the house to go hunting for moose or bear I would take nothing less than my .58cal and .570/279grn Hornady ball...IMO it offers some cushion for all the possible variables I might run into in getting a shot
:imo:

Probably work OK if you are just going to shoot calves or cubs, other wise I would use a bigger caliber in a round ball shooter.

You might try shooting some of the Real bullets, I have heard of them shooting well with big powder charges out of a 1 in 66 twist.

A 50 with a round ball works just fine on elk for me, 20+.
Have no idea for bears or moose, having never hunted them.

Othern

While I am sure under the right conditions a .50 caliber with a patched roundball would take any of the animals listed, perhaps a better projectile would help.

Actually :imo: when I think of the animals you listed, no matter what you want to shoot out of it, I think the .50 caliber is marginal to say the least. I would also go for a larger caliber but getting back to your question.

Limit your range, choose you target careful and as for the projectile you might want to look into some ball-et or even a minnie. Then get close. Practice a lot and put as much powder as you can behind the projectile while still maintaining accuracy...

Good luck... personally I like the .58 caliber or bigger idea also..

As stated above, bigger is better for these animals. A 50 will kill them just as dead, the key is shot placement. a good shot thru the boiler room will put them down, with either PRB or conical.
Also as stated above, limit your range-you want as much energy as possible for a clean kill.

Hay OTHERN tell me more. I am a .50 shooter also.
Don't want nothin bigger. What is your best load for your .50. I like 90G 2F real BP and PRB. I shoot a customized TC Hawken. 1975 ventage--- super acurate with this load. :thanks:

Sidelock

I use 80 gr of FFg Goex, 490 rb with a 27ths denim patch in my flinter which has a 42in Getz bbl. Put it in there lungs and they go 100 yds or less so far for me. :results: In my precussion(for my loaner as I have introduced a number of people to blackpower hunting) I use 90 gr of FFg Goex, 490 rb with a 28ths denim patch. My prec is a TC with a 36" dropin Sharon bbl.

Othern

50 cal with a large load of powder will do just fine unless you are after griz on Kodiak Island. I am in the process now of building a 50 cal flint lock to go after some of the big blacks (400#+) here in the wilds of Virginia. Using a 44

thanks i will try those. but as always i also carry while hunting a 454 casull.
Unfortunately that is not legal in Arizona only a single shot muzzleloading pistol is legal while hunting the muzzleloading seasons.

thanks i will try those. but as always i also carry while hunting a 454 casull.
Unfortunately that is not legal in Arizona only a single shot muzzleloading pistol is legal while hunting the muzzleloading seasons.

Not even allowed that here in NC...no handguns what so ever during ML (or archery) seasons...and no BP handguns allowed for deer hunting ever.

Don't you just love being regimented to death by laws because of the rare occasional low life who might shoot a deer with a handgun then claim he shot it with a bow or ML?

i carry it for protection only. since we ave bear and my muzzie only has one shot it is my oh shite pistol. :crackup:

i carry it for protection only. since we ave bear and my muzzie only has one shot it is my oh shite pistol. :crackup:

Where in history would Hugh Glass be, if he had been carrying a .44 S&W Mag?

Oh, I don't know - maybe he would have lived past 33 years old?

I also bring a friend with me in case I run into an animal, 2 or 4 legged that gives me more trouble than I can handle myself. That's is what a protection permit is for, IMHO
Finn

I dont want to high jack a thread but I dont know where to post this qusetion.The way I undertsand it is that the size of the ball gives a ML its thump right? so if you used a heavy conical bullet would it then be ok to go after the BIG critters ?This reminds me of a hunt my dad went on before he died.He had gotten the oppertunity to hunt elk in Colarado with a .45 cal mussle loader.His Elk wasnt a massive beast but it was BIG and fat.He used a stout load and a heavy conical.And I also wonderd if you could mold a bullet heavy enugh could you use a smaller caliber like .32 or .36 for deer and antilope and stuff.

I don't own a .32 but if I did I wouldn't think twice about nailing a deer at--say--50 yd. Nothinbigger than deer though. :m2c:

I do own .32 and .36. I would not take a shot at anything bigger than a coyote with these small guns. They are good for squirrels and such but do not have enough power to make a humane kill on deer. Power in Ftlbs is not much greater than a .22LR and that is not a deer gun. (I know .22LR has killed more game than any other cartridge but that is not ethical.) To make a long, heavy bullet in these calibers would require a very fast twist and HEAVY powder charge. Barrel would have to be very heavy to handle it. 20 lb rifle? :imo:

During archery season in PA, you can't carry a firearm of any kind - even if you have a concealed carry permit. :youcrazy: :bull:

Anyone know what the rule is during muzzleloader season? I'll look it up on the PGC website in the mean time & if I find it, I'll post it.

"Persons hunting deer in the archery seasons may not possess a firearm of any type."

Also...

"A License to Carry a Firearm does not entitle the licensee to spotlight wildlife while in possession of a firearm."

I can't find anything mention about carrying concealed handgun for protection in the muzzleloader seasons.

Back