• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

A Texas Bowie

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LRB

75 Cal.
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
Just finished this one. A Texas sized Bowie knife for picking teeth, trimming nails, removing heads, or clearing small forests when necessary. Blade is 11" x 2 3/8" x 1/4", of 01 steel. False edge was brought to an edge, but not honed. India Sambar elk grip is secured by a through tang peened over the 1/8" thick steel beveled butt cap. Beveled S guard and ferrule are also of steel. All lightly aged to a pleasant gray. Hope you enjoy a look.

Picture359.jpg

Picture356.jpg

Picture358.jpg

Picture360.jpg

I am not much into knives, but live in never ending awe of the guys and girls who can start banging on a chunk of steel and come up with such beautiful workmanship, regardless of the what end product may be.

Hey Wick, ya got any names of young guys to help carry that beast :blah: as always ol man, absolutely beautiful work
:thumbsup: :hatsoff:

"Texas Bowie" is dern near fightin' words to an Arkansan. :cursing: :wink:
Enneyhow, beautiful knife. Would do some fine work on a sandbar.
Where did you get the Sambar stag for the grip? I thought it couldn't be exported from India anymore.

India stag is still around, but it ain't cheap. The sheath for it will be little more than a blade cover with a belt loop, so It won't be worthy of pics. Thanks guys.

I gotta tell ya , I have never been a fan of Bowie knives but that knife you made right there, well that just me a convert. Mabey the most beautiful bowie I have ever seen. Wish I could feel it in my hand... Thank for sharing. :bow: :bow: :bow:

Wick for a maker of an inanimate object you shore can make one do a lot of talking, without saying a word!

I really like that one. Those scalloped ferrules you have been using some lately are just great, they seem to set off a handle well!

:hatsoff: :bow:

Cynthia, that one is just a big knife. Now here's a short sword. My rendition of the famous Musso Bowie knife. 13 3/4" blade, made from a blue print of the original. I think it is acually lighter in weight than this new Bowie. Hey Cliff, notice that the Musso grip to blade angle gives almost the same effect as the Carrigan type you posted in "ACCOUTREMENTS", when held edge up.

pennyknife374_640x480.jpg

pennyknife370_640x480.jpg

Wick Ellerbe said:
Cynthia, that one is just a big knife. Now here's a short sword. My rendition of the famous Musso Bowie knife. 13 3/4" blade, made from a blue print of the original. I think it is acually lighter in weight than this new Bowie. Hey Cliff, notice that the Musso grip to blade angle gives almost the same effect as the Carrigan type you posted in "ACCOUTREMENTS", when held edge up.

pennyknife374_640x480.jpg

pennyknife370_640x480.jpg

Shore did and when you look at one of that way it gives you a whole new appreciation for the knife being turned over to use it that way.

A man with a knife that knows how to use is not going to look anything like what you see on the tube! The military taught me that much!

Back