• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

A resoled old beat-up frizzen

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PaulTBarton

40 Cal.
Reaction score
I was really tired of trying many times to "fix" this frizzen. I read online that old files work great. Having a bunch of old H.F. files that were too worn to use, I broke off a piece of one. Ground one side to match the beat-up frizzen's face. Since the frizzen had already been tinned with 3% silver soft solder, I sweated the two puppies together. Then with my 6" wide belt sander I got rid of the files lumpy side. It sparks great. :grin:

Yes, the added piece is a bit thick and also the solder joint, but at this point I really don't care.

resole_h.jpg

More before pictures if'n you want them.

BartSr

The Resole Story

I'd be careful of universally accepting Chinese files as a source for new faces for such rebuilds...some of the cheapest are merely surface hardened, and you will in a short period of time get past the carbon...you might even get past it with removing the file's teeth on the surface. Prowling yard sales and flea markets for old, rusty files from quality companies might be a more secure source.

Well done on being resourceful! Let us know how well the frizzen takes the pounding, with that soft solder.

LD

Loyalist Dave said:
I'd be careful of universally accepting Chinese files as a source for new faces for such rebuilds...some of the cheapest are merely surface hardened, and you will in a short period of time get past the carbon...you might even get past it with removing the file's teeth on the surface. Prowling yard sales and flea markets for old, rusty files from quality companies might be a more secure source.

Well done on being resourceful! Let us know how well the frizzen takes the pounding, with that soft solder.

LD

LD,
Since I had ground off more than 1/8 of an inch on each side, I don't think cheaply done surface hardening will be any problem. :wink:

I will be on the prowl for more of course. :surrender:

BartSr

Take a look at any Manton of other high end late period English flint lock (the ultimate lock of the period) and you can see they used thick frizzens. These were the finest locks ever built (my old Manton flint fowler would fire odd 3 times out of five with NO prime)

Latest posts

Back