• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

A Recap of ML Season

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Ohio Muzzleloader season started out cold with temperatures of 0 degrees first thing in the morning and not to exceed 8 F for the day's high. Not to be deterred because snow was on the ground. I love hunting in snow. It inspired me to don the appropriate apparel and head out to a small patch of woods that holds a goodly number of deer at the end of a rural one lane subdivision. As soon as I walked away from my car and rounded the bend in the path a fat doe was facing me from 25 yard away. Legal light, legal game but not a wise shot to take because it would wake the neighbors too easily. I shooed her off and walked on toward the woods. Deer were jumping everywhere, though. Darn, I was too late. Should have been there 15 minute sooner to catch them coming in from the lower field. The morning constitutional checked me at the door before leaving the house, though. At this age taking care of business and the resultant paperwork in a warm lavatory trumps getting to the woods on time only to have to drop the drawers on a frigid morning when natures calls and screams.
After an hour and a half the toe warmers were no longer working. At the 2 hour mark even getting up and walking wouldn't ease the cold induced pain in the toes. Drove to Dad's farm to warm up and check out his fields. Almost went too long as my toes felt like hammers where hitting them as they slowly warmed up. Finally relief came as those digits did warm back to normal. I need new boots.
On Dad's lower field, which my brother and I planted and harvested the corn this past year, only coyote tracks, and many, were showing up. Would have thought the deer would be grazing the corn stalks more but it was nearly devoid of their hooves until I found one lone deer spoor on the west side. No use wasting my time here.

The next morning was just as cold. Back at the woods, earlier this time, ready for all the action that should be coming. Nothing. Not a hide nor hair. Hour and a half later I left to change. Going to praise God in the heated building where I go to church was more inviting. There was always the afternoon to tromp through hill and dale.
Hot Dog! The lady texted back saying I could hunt their large farm Sunday afternoon and Monday. Tuesday their normal hunter would be there but it was too cold for him these two days. Pays to be stupid enough to hunt when others won't. There deer were out in numbers here, too, but too far for my 50 caliber patched round ball to reach. I'm confident with this Blue Ridge Hunter up to 100 yard now that I found the patch it likes. The old TC patches with bore butter are very tight but this rifle will blow up one gallon water jugs at 100 yards off hand consistently. Before, with thinner patches that were easier to load 50 yard was all I felt comfortable shooting. Anything past that was a pattern, not a grouping. Now I must beat the ball starter with my palm hard to get the projectile started, but it is worth it.
Sunday evening ended with quite the adventure, multiple doe and 3 impressive bucks spotted. The drive home was spent deciding which field I would post myself for the morning's hunt.
Monday morning was a heat wave of 18 degrees. Rather comfortable and easily manageable to spend time in while watching the second to the last field of the farm. Surprisingly nothing showed up. Stay with me, I'll be back.

Slowly I checked on some of the other fields while making my way to the vehicle. Yes, there were some deer feeding but too far and too wary for my attempts to close the gap. Hot chocolate was waiting on my front seat. Digging through my fanny pack produced a small back of trail mix left over from gun season. Perfect, I was all set. A couple texts and business emails eased my mind. There was no reason I couldn’t stay longer today, nothing terribly pressing at the office to nag at me for once. And I want jerky!

A relaxing nap in the cab and I was ready to go. Even before opening the door 3 does trotted across the farm lane about 150 yards out. Now I’m really ready to go. I trailed them through woods, over cricks, across two fields but they were always beyond my sight. Confused in the amount of trails and tracks I didn’t know where they went. Yet, there was the largest field of the property beyond the next strip of woods, it was worth a look. Easing to the edge of the woods the three ladies were spied grazing well out of my PRB’s range. By all appearances they were meandering away from me, in the open. I believe my trail had ended. Then, to my delight, the largest of the three became interested in another trio of does further down the field to the east. She started walking on a line that would bring her closer to the wood line I was standing in. Maybe this would pan out after all.
As she was cutting the distance I figured that if she came within 100 yards I’d shoot if a broadside was offered. On she came. Yes, I do believe she is close enough. Then this big girl saw something that diverted her attention away from the other deer. It was the head bobbing, light foot stomping routine that had me locked down with my long rifle cradled in my arms. Is the gig up? Finally she decided that I was just another ugly stump amongst the trees and turned to join her companions. Instantly the sights were lined up on her broadside form and I touch off. The thump was nearly as loud as the gunshot. By the way her foreleg was dangling as she ran off I knew either her shoulder or leg bone was hit. That caused me concern. Would the PBR be able to penetrate that much bone and still impact the vitals?

My 30 year history with multiple 50 caliber ML’s have been mainly with T/C Maxi Hunters I cast and hunted with. With twice the weight and length seeing a shoulder/leg hit would not have caused me much consternation. Years ago, though, a family member had a large buck was lost when her PRB stopped short on a quartering to shot after it took out the shoulder. That and the hunter next door chased it on foot across the field. I’ve always stuck with my Maxi Hunters until taking a doe with a PRB a couple seasons ago. But that was only a 30 yard shot. This was at least 100, much of the energy would be consumed in flight.
Even with snow on the ground tracking this deer was an effort in futility. With all the other tracks and not a drop of blood there was no differentiating which trail belonged to which deer. I looked over the woods they ran into. The two back fields were walked over to be sure she did not run that far to expire. Sweat was forming from all the walking with heavy clothing and the aggravation of the thought that she wouldn’t be found. Finally I started the grid search in the wooded ridges the bordered the field she ran from. Walking on one side allowed a total view of the creek line below. Having traversed east to west the only possible option was to cross over the ridge to walk down the other side west to east to see if she may be in one of the deep ravines. Stopping halfway across the hilltop to pray that God would allow me to find this deer, dead, I looked over to my left, really don’t know why, and there lay the most beautiful sight.

Sure enough, the ball took out the leg bone just above the knee. From there it must have veered back because there was a hole in the rib cage. I could find no damage to the heart or the did the lungs have any gaping holes in them but they did appear to be bloodshot. I am amazed to have found her on top of a hill, or that she was even dead that quick from the results of the autopsy. Ecstatic for the recovery? Absolutely!

That's a very fine lookin' doe! :thumbsup: Congratulations! :hatsoff:

Too many people I've met over the years just don't stick to the trail long enough, even when they know they have a hit. Glad to see that you took the time and were rewarded for the effort!

Good job on recovery! Nice deer! :thumbsup:

I too came came a 30 year conical past..I just bumped up to 58 cal. rb and been living happily ever since.
A man can't have too many guns.

Thank you for sharing your hunt! Enjoyed the write-up. Congratulations on a fine animal. Persistence pays!

PJ

Back