• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

a real nice origional double barelled flinter

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I dunno...? Theres actually a few doubles on that site , but none as catching to my eye.

I cant afford any of em.
Yet its acceptable to admire from afar.
:haha:
Cheers
Rob

Blunderbusses were the combat shotguns of the day. There are at least a few sporting weapons made with bayonets still in existence - I suspect they were intended for use when dealing with wild boar or suchlike. Remember that people on the European continent at times still carried swords designed for hunting.

That shotgun is English, but it may been made for a Continental customer, or someone liked the style.

Trench said:
So this is a combat shotgun?

I frequently see them listed in reference books as a "coach gun". I guess a highwayman would show a little respect if faced with one of these on a dark night at a lonely crossroad.

Maybe 24 inches?? "the barell length"
Thinking about it, Maybe its a cut down fowler?

Except for the spring operated bayonet switch by the trigger guard,I would picture it to be a very fine long fowler that was later cut down. The cleaning rods in the butt, and all the engravings strike me as this being a expensive fine arm in its day.

Neat looking shotgun & wicked looking. Also a fake I think.
IMHO, That is not the original barrels for that shotgun. Look at the rib width on the tang cut, now look at the rib width on the barrel & the fit, now compare engraving at the tang & the barrel. This gunsmith/maker was no novice, he Knew what he was doing & this barrel engraving doesn't even closely resemble the tang. Now look #2 photo where you can see the forestock & barrel fit, see all of those gaps. No way this is the original barrel. Now look at the Round hole for the ramrod into the entrypipe......... and just thinking on this, how do you get a RR into that hole with a welded on bayonet in the way ?

Saw one similar to this locking lever years ago. That lever on the botttom in front of the trigger is a locking lever to lock the barrel to the stock. You insert the hooked breech into the tang, put the barrel down to the forestock & then push the forestock wedgepin thru the lug in the front of the forestock to lock the front part down, then pull the lever up in front of the trigger & that securely locks the barrels down into place.

Neat looking shotgun though. It appears the original barrels may have been a larger bore looking at the gaps in the forestock/barrel fit. No doubt was an expensive piece when made as a very accomplished gunsmith made it for sure.

:thumbsup:

Back