• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

A Question for the Black Powder Maniac

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks for that Ettery. When I started shooting my new Traditions it was extremely tight with .015 patch/.490 ball. When I joined the forum to learn more and find out if this tightness was normal, even though I never complained about accuracy at all, a whole flock of members advised me to use a thicker patch. ???? I think L Dave advised polishing the bore w the finest steel wool and polishing the crown with some 400 emory cloth. Gamechanger for loading ! I watched Black Powder Maniac shooting and thought it would sure be nice to not need a short starter. Then, recently I took my 13 year old grandson out to get him started. I had purchased some lubed, .010 patches and he used those and hit darn near every can and jug we set up at 40 yards. Last, I had him put a group on paper at the same distance and he shot a 3 shot, inch and a half group. He could start the ball with his thumb and go straight to the ramrod if he wanted to. I will probably save the .015's for hunting but not for plinking. I was having a really hard time imagining being in a war w a short starter added to full hands. I still need one for conicals though. They are not for plinking. Thanks again. SW
I stand by my belief. If your match shooting where every .100" matters then you probably need a very tight patch/ ball combination.

I see no need for it in plinking, or hunting, unless you're hunting grasshoppers, and even wood's walks where group size is not important.

I'm far from an expert, but I've been burning black powder since Spring of 1980. I have yet to hear of a possibles bag from the 19th century contain a short starter. In the kit of a Billinghurst, Brockway, Wesson et al, then absolutely.

1. We now use much more powder in our rifles than they did in the 18th and 19th century. I base this on the cased Bespoke English rifles I've seen and read about. The recommended load is printed inside the lid.
One 16 bore rifle made for Prince Albert by Rigby had a recommended load of 60grs ffg for a 435grain ball.

English sporting rifles of the early - mid 19th Century used lighter powder charges than American rifles of similar caliber. If anything, the use of heavier charges than we commonly use today was more common on this side of the pond.
This is discussed in The Plains Rifle by Charles Hanson.

Couldn't agree with you more.
Loading BP guns these days using rubber mallets and 00.20+ patch materials is excessive.
Loading like that is too much work. I'll pass...
I would think they tailored the load to the need then just as now knowing full well that a proof tested, accurate load using a tight patched ball is more accurate then one needed for armed conflict and fast repeat shots.
It depended on wither or not one was trying to save ones hair or competing for a side of beef!
I know of no written account of folks using a short starter in days of "yore" but coned muzzles were rather popular I have read.
I have also read that refreshing muzzle loading barrels, worn from wood loading rod wear was routinely practiced.
Now days we have far tougher barrel steel than was used then but loading without a muzzle protector will still wear a crown out of true over time and use.

Back