• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

A newbie question...maybe 2

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If the bullet maker knows so much, make him a deal!

Tell him to stand at 30 yards while you pull the trigger! If he doesn't get hit, you will hang it on the wall. If he does get hit, your going hunting :grin:

It is good your putting more faith in the folks who know, than a know it all!

That .54 will drop darn near anything around. Work up the right load with "real" loose black powder, patch and ball. This will generate a grin like nothing else can :v

I've seen a couple STRONG suggestions in favor of "real" BP and thats cool but you most likely wont find any anywhere near you. I shoot Pyrodex RS. It is redily available at Bi-Mart, Sportsmans, and other places; $12.00 to $14.00 a can and it works VERY WELL. I also personally prefer the musket cap to the #11's.
Go have some fun, lets see some pictures, and a range report. :thumbsup:

Art,

That bulletmaker is absolutely right! That gun is no good for nothin' and might even be dangerous! You should immediately box it up and send it to me for safe keeping before you wound an animal or blow yourself up!

:rotf: :rotf: :rotf:

OK, now that the :bull: has been taken care of...

Keep it simple to start. Somewhere between 70 and 110 grains of BP, a pre-lubed pre-cut .015 patch, a .530 round ball, and a #11 percussion cap will get you started. Try various amounts of powder and patch thickness etc. to find an accurate load. If you can keep 'em in the vitals, it'll kill a deer. I never shot an elk, but I imagine they die with a hole thru the heart/lungs too. :wink:

This buck dropped after taking 4 steps when I shot him at 100 yards with a .50 GPR. Load was 70 grains of 2F Goex, .015 T/C pre-lubed patch, and a .490 round ball. Broke a rib going in, penetrated both lungs at a slight quartering-away angle, and exited the off side. Can't ask for better performance than that. :thumbsup:
BigBuck.jpg

Take that rifle hunting! Hang the trophy on your wall! :wink:
Unless, of course, you want to send it to me for safe keeping. :haha: :hatsoff:

Wattsy said:
I've seen a couple STRONG suggestions in favor of "real" BP and thats cool but you most likely wont find any anywhere near you. I shoot Pyrodex RS. It is redily available at Bi-Mart, Sportsmans, and other places; $12.00 to $14.00 a can and it works VERY WELL. I also personally prefer the musket cap to the #11's.
Go have some fun, lets see some pictures, and a range report. :thumbsup:

You can order the real stuff online from several suppliers. My favorite is www.grafs.com because they will sell 5 lb lots. We are only allowed to keep 5 lb of blackpowder at a time here in IL. Grafs will also pay the shipping but you still have a hazmat fee.
If you plan to shoot a lot, or have buddies to split it with, order a 25 lb case from somewhere. :thumbsup:

Last edited by a moderator:
I have hit...in the chest circle...a lifesize steel cut out of a buffalo at 300 yards, uphill, with my Dixie Tennessee PoorBoy. 25 yard gun my a$$. Your bullet maker needs to find something he's good at.

Last edited by a moderator:
IMG_5259.jpg

First off, I want to give all you guys a serious "thanks" for all the great info that I got :thumbsup: This is my first attempt at posting any pic with photobucket, not sure exactly what will happen.... I'm going to try and get out soon and work up a ball/power combo based upon some of the great advice I'm gotten here. My 44 Remington needs a workout too. I sort of prefer old school bp, thats all I ever have used in my Remington. I'm planning on sticking with it, because I don't think I'm good enough to use both at the same time without something going amiss sometime. Not sure how many bp folks are out here on the Long Beach Peninsula and around the Astoria/N Oregon coast area, give me a shout,smokepolls seem to be quite rare around here.

That is a gorgeous rifle with how they finished the grain. I bet it will surprise you on how well it shoots.

I can't shoot the groups these guys on this board can shoot, but I sure get, "Man, that gun shoots good" a lot at the range. Had a tighter group with a 50 cal off the bench at 100 yards than the guy next to me with his EBR and scope off the bench. He said wow and I told him he needs to go old school!

Good luck with the gun and have someone take a picture of you 2 seconds after your first shot. You will have a bigger grin than on your wedding day!

ArtD,

Wow.. What a beauty. I'm a sucker for good wood and that baby steals your heart. Have a great time with her and good hunting... I bet she won't let you down.

Jay

If you get time, nip over to Vancouver and spend some time on the Clarke Rifle Range there. Ask for Chuck Fox or Lee Andersson [Chuck is the site secretary], and tell them I recommended you to go there.

You might just find a few fellow BP nu-, sorry, fans, there.

tac

If the roundball is so ineffective, why was the deer population almost wiped out in the late 1700's to mid 1800's? I think like others that too many people have been infected with a case of magnumitis. You have a fine looking rilfle there that WILL get the job done as long as you do your part.

Sweet looking rifle!

Thank God we will have another Black Powder voice of support in your area!

Unlike your bullet maker guy!

I would love to see you drive up, and throw a dead carcass on his desk! Yup 100yds :grin:

Back