• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

A hunt gone awry...

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
On the hunt of 2015 I broke my wooden ramrod, and by the grace of god I didn't get skewered. When I saw the jagged wood splinter that I narrowly missed that was the last of wooden ramrods for me. That ram rod was a good rod, like 20 years ago. Time and use had weakened it to a danger.
Now my hunting rifle sports a brass ramrod. Sure my rifle weighs a bit more but by god that thing is never going to splinter and become a danger to me. Rather have to lug a little extra weight than have to go to the hospital! Then when I think of being seriously injured on a hunt, out in the forest solo...no thank you.
I never use wood rods anymore. I use a range rod when practicing and my made to order brass rod for hunting.

My advice is to not use wood ramrods.

R.C.Bingaman said:
I have read your posts and totally disagree with your hunting ethics.Perhaps you are unaware of the different factions whom may visit our site and look especially for posts such as yours.This is a difficult time to be a sportsman of the field with all the negative lime light from anti hunting groups.Even a lowly coyote as you have expressed deserves a quick death. Perhaps the animal eats rabbits ect. to survive,as I am sorry for the death of your dog,you fail to mention the circumstances in the dogs demise.I attempt to be a ethical hunter the animal I pursue either a mouse or a elephant or anything in between deserves respect in life as well as death. AN ETHICAL APPALACHIAN HUNTER

Well stated

R.C.Bingaman said:
I have read your posts and totally disagree with your hunting ethics.Perhaps you are unaware of the different factions whom may visit our site and look especially for posts such as yours.This is a difficult time to be a sportsman of the field with all the negative lime light from anti hunting groups.Even a lowly coyote as you have expressed deserves a quick death. Perhaps the animal eats rabbits ect. to survive,as I am sorry for the death of your dog,you fail to mention the circumstances in the dogs demise.I attempt to be a ethical hunter the animal I pursue either a mouse or a elephant or anything in between deserves respect in life as well as death. AN ETHICAL APPALACHIAN HUNTER
Also fully agree.

Ok, I've sat by and read some of these comments about how I should have followed up to make sure the coyote was indeed deceased....so, anyone of you ppl read the fact that I had a broken ramrod and that my hunt was basically over?.... It was broken AFTER I shot the yote..even if I hadn't broken my ramrod I'm not 100 percent sure I could have pursued it. In my woods, I have about 4 acres of MULTIFLORA ROSE,( which is exactly where the yote ran to)which is nearly impenetrable,all the animals thrive around it, but it makes it hard to hunt, do a google search...its some nasty stuff. So without a ramrod and I still decided to pursue to make sure it's dead... Then if it's still alive after I find it, I spose I could read it its last rights.... Pet it while it lays there dying.. Maybe sing a song to it? My point is, I had nothing to dispose of it with after I broke my ramrod...even if I wanted to brave the thorns from hell.
As a side not, the thorns I refer to make it super difficult to hunt anything at all in that 4 acre area. There would also be no way to blood trail a deer through it. When I First bought the woods I tried to rid myself of them, it seemed like they grew back as fast as I could cut them down. Theres 20 acres there, so there's plenty of other spots on the woods to hunt.
In closing, please read the full context of my first post BEFORE you jump on the "ETHICAL HUNTER BANDWAGON" and note, the fact that my original post didn't ask whether or not you thought my choice was an ethical one. I never asked any opinions, it was merely a post to warn others about being cautious using wooden ramrods..

Ok, I've sat by and read some of these comments about how I should have followed up to make sure the coyote was indeed deceased....so, anyone of you ppl read the fact that I had a broken ramrod and that my hunt was basically over?.... It was broken AFTER I shot the yote..even if I hadn't broken my ramrod I'm not 100 percent sure I could have pursued it. In my woods, I have about 4 acres of MULTIFLORA ROSE,( which is exactly where the yote ran to)which is nearly impenetrable,all the animals thrive around it, but it makes it hard to hunt, do a google search...its some nasty stuff. So without a ramrod and I still decided to pursue to make sure it's dead... Then if it's still alive after I find it, I spose I could read it its last rights.... Pet it while it lays there dying.. Maybe sing a song to it? My point is, I had nothing to dispose of it with after I broke my ramrod...even if I wanted to brave the thorns from hell.
As a side not, the thorns I refer to make it super difficult to hunt anything at all.. Almost impossible to blood trail..when I First bought the woods I tried to rid myself of them, they grew back as fast as I could cut them down it seemed,there's 20 acres there, so there's plenty of other spots on the woods to hunt.
In closing, please read the full context of my first post BEFORE you jump on the "ETHICAL HUNTER BANDWAGON" and note, the fact that my original post didn't ask whether or not you thought my choice was an ethical. I never asked any opinions, it was merely a post to warn others about being cautious using wooden ramrods..

I put an arrow through a bobcat that ran off into a 500 acre tangle of blackberry briars and 8' pines, impossible to walk through. When the blood trail entered the thick stuff I backed off, common sense prevailed, no tracking a wounded bobcat into a jungle at dusky dark armed with only an osage bow and a pocket knife for me.

You mean you didn't fix your bayonet and weld your hawk and charge in????? Oh the Humanity!!!! :rotf:

Not judging just asking, If the animal looked like a Boon and Crockett buck and the same facts applied,would you have gone after it? or gone,got a new ram rod and gone back to check.Got no love for coyoties,but,,,,

Can't eat antlers... So a big buck or a nice doe means the same to me, it means meat.. And that's exactly what I'm out there for. Yes I'd go after it because that's what I'm hunting. Can't eat a coyote...well I spose you could.. But I don't. so to add a little more information on the topography of my woods, about a10 yrs ago it was logged out and all the tops were put into large piles, so the woods is terribly thick, Multiflora rose briars fill up a 3 acre area, and the piles of tree tops makes for a nice hiding spot for a hurt yote...plus there are about 2 or maybe more dens that I know of under these piles of tops. In short, even if I woulda wanted to find the coyote, I would have not been able to once he entered the " Rose Patch" as we call it. Even if he would have continued through the briars, he would have wound up under a pile of tops In a hole. Deer normally go for thick cover when wounded...not holes in the ground, which makes them easier to find.

S.kenton said:
As a side not, the thorns I refer to make it super difficult to hunt anything at all.. Almost impossible to blood trail..when I First bought the woods I tried to rid myself of them, they grew back as fast as I could cut them down it seemed,there's 20 acres there, so there's plenty of other spots on the woods to hunt.
In closing, please read the full context of my first post BEFORE you jump on the "ETHICAL HUNTER BANDWAGON" and note, the fact that my original post didn't ask whether or not you thought my choice was an ethical. I never asked any opinions, it was merely a post to warn others about being cautious using wooden ramrods..

Yes to each his own. Well you did post it so I too will reply. I myself try to not shoot anything I cant eat (or wont') and thus don't shoot coyotes (used to though). I would indeed have made sure he was not suffering though. I respect your position (here they are shot mainly cuz they kill antelope fawns and it has taken some (me included, have given up) a life time to draw an antelope tag. I would say maybe it should be shared only among buddies in camp or at the post office. Too may anti hunters would take that post and start a whole new Sierra type group. I have seen and heard a gut shot animal suffer, ain't pretty at all. All Gods creatures ya know? BUT....if my dog got ate I'd go on a spree for sure :cursing:

IMO: You did good.

i'm a long time muzzleloader hog hunter. Many of the hogs i shoot are big boars. My shots are picked carefully and the hog is not going far after being hit.

Most of my hogs are shot after sunset. When a big boar runs off into the thick brush or tall grass i ain't going there after dark.

Yes really! IMO yotes don't deserve anything, they kill our fawns, rabbits, pheasants and the occasional squirrel..ill pretty much shoot them and leave them lay..or shoot em and don't care if they die a painful long agonizing death..They killed my favorite dog a while back... If I see em, I shoot to kill. Last year I stuck one with an arrow.. Guess what? Didn't follow that one up either.. Sorry if I offend you or others with this post.. But I simply don't care.
And if legal to do so it just heurts someones feelings.
I along with the many others grew up taught not to shoot anything you are not going yo eat, and read many sporting publications striving to make us ethecial or at least the type of hunter theu aspired to be. I don`t recal the author but a few years ago read an article about just such ethics and the writer esposed that any means of take that was legal is ethical.
and that dear reader may give a person something to ponder.
Maybe like religion you can make your own choice .

Blitz

And if legal to do so it just heurts someones feelings.
I along with the many others grew up taught not to shoot anything you are not going yo eat, and read many sporting publications striving to make us ethecial or at least the type of hunter theu aspired to be. I don`t recal the author but a few years ago read an article about just such ethics and the writer esposed that any means of take that was legal is ethical.
and that dear reader may give a person something to ponder.
Maybe like religion you can make your own choice .

Blitz
This thread is so old I had to re-read it to jog my memory.. lol

Yes really! IMO yotes don't deserve anything, they kill our fawns, rabbits, pheasants and the occasional squirrel..ill pretty much shoot them and leave them lay..or shoot em and don't care if they die a painful long agonizing death..They killed my favorite dog a while back... If I see em, I shoot to kill. Last year I stuck one with an arrow.. Guess what? Didn't follow that one up either.. Sorry if I offend you or others with this post.. But I simply don't care.
I agree. I’ve killed coyotes here that had the mange. Practically no hair from halfway back. It was so nasty looking that I didn’t want to touch it but I needed to remove it from my hunting site.

I have witnessed them chasing deer and turkeys.

They are nothing more than terrible wild dogs that do much damage. Very difficult to control.

There’s a reason why the Fish and Game have coyotes listed as varmints with open season year round, no limit and any legal means of weapon.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back