• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

a fall treat

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

George

Cannon
Reaction score
Hurricane Sandy had our weather disturbed for the first few days of our early turkey season, but it was back to a more normal pattern this morning, so I hit the woods. I know a spot where turkeys tend to funnel between the edge of a woods lot and a small island of trees and brush about 60 yards from the edge, and I thought I might be able to ambush one there. I don't know how to hunt fall turkeys, never have a lot of confidence when I try them. My hunch paid off, this morning, though, and I hadn't been in my spot in the little island more than 45 minutes when a whole flock, at least 15, came feeding by. We can take either sex in the fall, so I took the first one which came into shooting range. It was a young jenny at about 20 yards, and I was pleased to see her go down in a heap and begin the death beat.

I was shooting my Jackie Brown flintlock smoothbore, 46", 20 gauge, loaded with 80 grains of FFg Goex and 1 1/2 oz. of #6 shot, using tow wadding.

It's hard for me to think of anything I'd rather do on a beautiful fall day in Kentucky than kill a wild turkey with a flintlock. The woods were stunning with fall color, the sky that special blue it gets at this time of the year, the air had that sharp bite which says winter and deer season isn't far away. On top of all that, to see turkeys up close and personal over the barrel of a flintlock, while dressed in colonial rig, well, it doesn't get much better.

DSC_0028copy.jpg

DSC_0010copy.jpg

Spence

Fantastic :hatsoff:

You look great, the bird and your flinter :applause:

Nothing like being close after second guessing them (what ever them is!).

Awesome photo's :thumbsup:

Brits.

Great Pics and story as usual! Congrats Spence!! I know what you mean about these beautiful fall mornings. I hit the woods myself this morning with the made 16 ga. Fowler I made last year in search of fall turkeys. I'm in south Jersey just inland of Ocean City where Sandy made landfall.I didn't have as good fortune as you Spence. I heard birds briefly on the roost, but they gave me the slip. I get back out Friday and Saturday and try to take my 1st flintlock turkey! By the way Spence I really like your shirt what material made is it made from ? Its perfect! Take care my friend! :hatsoff: Ed

I have to agree, of all the things to hunt with a flintlock, turkeys are at the top of my list. Nice job.

Congrats Spence :thumbsup: An your right. Absolutly nothing beats lookin over the barrel of a fine flintlock at the greatest game bird ever :hatsoff:

What a great hunt, Spence. Sandy stopped any chance I had to go for early turkey. But deer season starts Saturday and we'll still have a week of turkey season. I'll be carrying a .62 smoothbore loaded with prb so I'll have to be careful if I get a shot at one.

NJ Longbeard said:
By the way Spence I really like your shirt what material made is it made from ? Its perfect!
It's just a surplus WWII army blanket dyed to cover up the GI olive drab and look a bit like logwood, a common dye of the 18th century. I made it using a shirt pattern, made it pull-over and left the sleeves wide with no cuffs, just folded them back, as you can see. On those nippy mornings I fold them down and put each hand into the opposite sleeve far enough that the sleeves meet, and it's as warm as a muff. They may find me frozen to a tree, some day, but my hands will still be warm. :haha:

Just like the guns, I've been much impressed that the clothes of the 18th century do a good job. They are comfortable, long-wearing and warm. Making and wearing them is part of the package, for me, and adds a lot to mornings like this.

Spence

good stuff Spence :hatsoff: nice gun kit and bird
CHEERS! :thumbsup:

Back