• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

A Cooper or what?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
This pistol seems to have all the attributes of an American made Cooper, however it is completely unmarked even no serial number.
Overall length is 8 1/4 inches, bore length 3 1/2”, bore 0.625” barrel across the flats 0.970 “ no taper.
one of the odd things is that the pistol is one piece there is no seperate breech plug.
I posted about this gun some years ago and it was also in Roger Renner’s “The Underhammer Society“ blog (which is still available and has a wealth on underhammers).

As on Roger’s blog. Back in 2010.
IMG_1419.jpeg

IMG_2562.jpeg

The holster also acts as a safety as it restricts the trigger movement.
IMG_2556.jpeg

IMG_2558.jpeg

These later photos show the simple mechanism of two moving parts, the trigger and spring/hammer.
The ‘hammer’ is also a safety in that when engaged with the trigger it is clear of and protects the cap.
IMG_2563.jpeg

Last edited:
Thanks for the lead to the Underhammer Society. I've long liked underhammers.
i looked for "underhammer society" & found it is a "closed blog" the guy pursued other interests.. if i'm wrong, i would appreciate the correct site? thanks!! (i'm interested in one of these rifles)

This pistol seems to have all the attributes of an American made Cooper, however it is completely unmarked even no serial number.
Overall length is 8 1/4 inches, bore length 3 1/2”, bore 0.625” barrel across the flats 0.970 “ no taper.
one of the odd things is that the pistol is one piece there is no seperate breech plug.
I posted about this gun some years ago and it was also in Roger Renner’s “The Underhammer Society“ blog (which is still available and has a wealth on underhammers).

As on Roger’s blog. Back in 2010.
View attachment 242422
View attachment 242423

The holster also acts as a safety as it restricts the trigger movement.
View attachment 242425

View attachment 242424
These later photos show the simple mechanism of two moving parts, the trigger and spring/hammer.
The ‘hammer’ is also a safety in that when engaged with the trigger it is clear of and protects the cap.
View attachment 242426
Kia Ora.
That's a fabulous pistol. & to have the holster. Just beautiful 😍
Nga mihi
Chris

I love the look of that gun. I have a barrel about 8" long that I just bought. I might try to build one similar. Maybe even a long gun with the same action. These pics might show up in another thread on here, probably in the handgun forum.

Back