• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

.82 dragoon

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
IMG_2821_zps2907408d.jpg

I'd be interested in seeing/knowing how you
installed the stirup butt cap...
Wulf

im amazed, truly outstanding work! im curious, why 82 cal? is this HC for this kind of pistol?

-matt

.82 cal is the largest caliber original dragoon pistol i was able verifie and secondly its twenty milimeter and i found a vulcan cannon barrel for cheap back in the day. so its the strongest steel you can get and chrome bored , took quite a few cutters to get it turned down doa

first time out it fired ( good enough that it went off on first attempt) but on top of that i hit the papaer plate at twenty yards over and over . banner day

what is the twist in that barrel? It looks pretty fast. Faster than the typical PRB formula would derive. Are you planning on shooting conicals out of it? :rotf:

the rifle(rifling1/48) had issues with round ball but the pistol does just fine there just isnt enough barrel im thinking

Twist isn't the problem because the rifling is certainly deep enough. Bore volume on that baby will limit the amount of powder you can use before the "law of diminishing returns" bites you. Just remember: pistol shot; 20 yards...half pistol shot; 10 yards...dragoons usually used their pistols at "touch" distance. Besides which: Every great piece of military art showing showing horse troops "pistoling" some other poor sod, they are always just about touching the enemy and holding the pistol lock up. Never knew what that logic was but it seemed universal during that time period.

Bye the way...super pistol, guy, great job! :hatsoff:

So that what was left of the prime ( from bouncing around in a saddle holster all day )would lay against the touch hole for better ignition .

Latest posts

Back