• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

8 Bore Loads

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I once owned a duck gun would take a rim and case entire of 12 bore I loaded 9 dram & 3 ounze once but this was only the once. I generally loaded it as a 12 bore in Clay shoots . I was ill suited for most rough shooting . Too heavy .The day after I bought it I wanted shot but could get non in Sheffield . So I bought two boxes of 177 'Lane's Cat Slugs' and loaded a box & a half . Walked about the farm I shot on & flushed a wood pigeon made a note & came back later this time ready for it . It powered away but I upped and took a snap shot tumbled it finding just one pellet had strook it .. There is little call for such guns unless wildfowling or Africa maybe . Not many huge game animals in NZ. I did own a single 8 bore percussion rifle once but it shot poorly being well worn & I sold it . That's me big bored out.
Rudyard

I know this thread is a little dated but I recently acquired a very fine 8bore rifle by HW. Freakin' awesome piece of equipment! A work of art actually, to me (beauty is in the eye of the beholder). Anyway, 200gr of 2F BP and a 2oz ball shoots really well and recoil is manageable to my 240lb 62yr old body. I was told by the seller to use an over powder wad and a cushion wad under the ball. The cushion wad is lubed well and seems to help with reduced fouling. It's loud and fills the air with smoke and makes a man proud to pull the trigger! I enjoy this way too much sometimes...

This is how I do it!

It takes 150 grain measure for 2 ounces of birdshot. [about]

An 8 bore ball is about 2 ounces.

So 150 grains is a good load.

Like the "ole boy" told me when I bought a 12 bore barrel from him. "Start at 150 grains and load it up to what you can stand"

I stand corrected...by myself. My load is 150gr of 2F. I don't know where I came up with 200gr?

Westporter, what did Gun Works suggest for ball, patch and load?

Just took delivery of an 8 bore percussion rifle by Hollie Wessel through The Gun Works of Springfield, Oregon. The workmanship is magnificent and built in the style of 19th century African rifles of similar bore, etc. , as was intended. The rifle is a bit on the light side at 11 pounds. However, as I have no immediate plans to haul it off to East Africa in pursuit of a buff or ele, I just plan on shooting it for fun for now. Thinking of 100g FFG for starters. Any thoughts otherwise?
shot a 610 gr slug with 120 2f behind it in my 58cal..........ounce!!!....lol, ouch. could not even imagine shooting an 8 bore, or bigger

The biggest load I have fired in my 4 bore so far is 400 grains of 2F powder. Recoil is enormous but it does NOT spin you around at all. That is a bunch of nonsense. Four shots does not even put a bruise on my shoulder. But I do feel it for a about two days afterwards. From what I have seen there was only six 2 bore rifles built during the 19th century. There is no record of one of them ever actually used for hunting. Everyone knows about the story of the story of the guy talking about firing half pound shells at elephants. I forget what his name was. His gun fired half pound SHELLS, not balls. The serial number of his rifle is known. It was made by Holland & Holland. According to their records it was a 3 bore. Not a 2 bore.

As for 8 bore loads, historically it seems that they topped out at about 275 to 300 grains. That should be safe in a well made rifle. If you want to go higher than that it is going to depend on the barrel, how heavy the rifle is, and how it is made. Work your way up gradually checking for any cracks in the wood. DON'T shoot sitting at a rest. Don't try to fight the recoil. Going to lose that one. Let the recoil rock you back and take a few steps back if you need to. Heavy powder charge in a 8 bore is capable of breaking bones.

Oh, Oh..........Never shoot sitting at a bench, kneel and shoot off the bench, or stand!

It keeps your back straighter and lets you 'rock' back.

Don't be afraid to use a 'sissy bag'. [bag of birdshot or kitty litter']

I have an 8 bore DBL, and shoot 10 bore loads in it because of it age. it is in great shape & I want to keep it that way. yes I know it is an 8 bore & will probelay function fine with an 8 bore load, but it ain't goanna happen as long as I own it.

also my old 76+++year old body can't take a beating, like going 3 rounds with IRON MIKE TYSON! shooting full house loads!! so as stated I shoot 10 gauge load's in it and have a BLAST, pun intended!

If memory serves me Sir Samuel Baker wrote about his 2 bore with 1/2 lb explosive slugs, built by Holland & Holland in 1869. The recoil was sufficient for him to use it on few occasions as he claimed that it spun him around like a weathercock. Also it was supposedly between 3-4 bore weighing 18 pounds and used 10-12 drams of powder, called it "baby".

Back