• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

7$ Horn

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

longshot47

45 Cal.
Reaction score
IMG_0087-1.jpg

IMG_0078-1.jpg

Pulled this double twist sleeper, along with a number of others, out of Lee Larkins pile of nasties on the lawn at Dixon's last year.
Scraped body, shaped and polished throat, turned walnut plugs. The contrasting textures add some personality.
Yeah, I know.....its only worth $6.50 now, but it did get me closer to decoding the photobucket thing.

Longshot47 said:
Yeah, I know.....its only worth $6.50 now, ...

Hey that´s a great horn! :thumbsup:
Just tell me to where I have to sent the seven bucks... :wink: :haha:

:hatsoff: It's got character man and I like character. Ya won't find that in no catalogue or on some shelf. No sir, that's genuine hand made the way it's supposed to be. Looks great! :bow: :wink: :thumbsup:

what did you use to stain it? I really like that darker color. beautiful work 6.50 huh I'll give ya 8 hee hee

Your top photograph is absolutely outstanding. My compliments, and congratulations.

The comments are much appreciated;...and Paddlefoot, your exuberance is a tonic of the highest order.
Replies:
~The color of the horn body is largely the result of soaking in a walnut hull/osage orange brew, and judicious application of a medium strength potassium permanganate solution. The finish was then rubbed-out and burnished. This was obviously not a creamy, scrim quality horn at birth, but rather, an opaque green/grey with a deeply pigmented, near black tip. It's straight measured length is 12 1/2", and the tapered spout hole is 3/8". The butt plug is secured with wood shoe pegs.

~Yes Bearhound, for me Dixon's Fair has always been an event worth attending, and a great opportunity to pass the pipe with some friendlies, while sorting thru the plunder.

~Longshot

I would be proud to own a horn like this. And being a gentleman wont try to knock down you asking price of 6.50 and even volunteer to pay the postage myself (fine upstanding citizen that i am :wink: ) I look forward to recieving it in due course. I hear what you say about imperfections but it ooooses character.Looverly job.
Regards
Dobson :thumbsup:

That is a handsome horn indeed! And the price was certainly right. I expect it is more representative of the horns of old than all the fancy ones we see nowadays. Absolutely first class!!! :thumbsup:

What more can I say. That horn is definitely a true treasure.
I like it a LOT. :hatsoff:
Dusty :wink:

Latest posts

Back