• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

7/8 x50 caliber barrel

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fho

40 Cal.
Reaction score
I took a walnut stock blank to the Log Cabin to get a barrel channel and a ramrod groove cut in it.

The barrel is a 50 caliber smooth bore. I was thinging of leaving it a smooth bore or would it be better to rifle it?

Thanks in advance
Olie

Most smoothbores are bought or made to go hunting. Most STATES restrict what size bore diameters can be used for hunting certain game. So, CHECK YOUR STATE REGULATIONS for what restrictions you may have in using such a small bore "shotgun" for hunting. :thumbsup:

Depends, what do you plan to do with this piece?

Are you going to make it as a smooth rifle, or as a typical fowler?

IMHO, a smooth rifle, with rifle sights and proper loads, will shoot almost as well as a rifled barrel, off hand at normal hunting ranges.

God bless

Olie said:
The barrel is a 50 caliber smooth bore. I was thinging of leaving it a smooth bore or would it be better to rifle it?

If considering it as a smoothbore for shot loads, a .50cal is trending towards the smallish side in terms of the size shot charge it would handle and therefore its flexibility for a variety of game.

For example, I love my .54ca/.28ga smoothie for clat targets and squirrels, but wouldn't want one smaller as far as shot loads go.
And in spite of really liking the .28ga, I reach for a larger .20ga to hunt turkey as it handles a larger shot charge...and for crows to handle an adequate size shot charge of larger sized pellets.

As a cost reference, 3-4 years ago I had Ed Rayl add rifling to a .62cal smoothbore I had and it only cost $65.

So as was suggested above, nail down what you will really use it for...if mainly as a rifle, then I'd get it rifled.

I was thinking to use it as a smooth rifle and I could use it as a shot gun.I can get it rifled later if I want.

It is a southern mountain rifle so I don't know if there where smooth rifles in the southern mountains. It is also a hunting gun.

Thanks
Olie

Back