• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

.69 Tower Flintlock

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

paope

32 Cal.
Reaction score
I noticed a 69 flintlock pistol in the for sale forum. Are these Japanese made pistols made to load and shoot or just for decoration?
Thanks
Perry

Lawdy Lawdy, I sure hope they're made to shoot! (I'm the one who bought it!) :shocked2:

My only knowledge is what I read here on the forum and on other sites. The opinions seem very mixed. Some folk claim they're fun shooters, others say they don't spark well, and still others say still other things. Doesn't seem to be much of a consensus out there.

I'll be happy to let you know what I think after I get it, clean it up, and try it out.

Homesteader
I picked a similar pistol up at an auction awhile back and upon doing a bit of reading came upon a few posts on the web that suggest that they were not meant to be fired and other posts claiming they were a blast to shoot. So I have been a bit leary of loading it up and touching it off with out proofing it or hearing from someone who actually has owned one and fired it themselves.
Please let me know the results of your testing.
Thanks

I have not tried to shoot any of these yet but if you look up the thread "Bucket of pistols" it should give you some more info.

All the ones that have flints in them have given off good spark and all have touch holes drilled in them. I split the cost of a bucket full of muzzleloading pistols with a friend. Most of the Tower Pistols were put together without the the wood being shaped down and finishing the barrels correctly or at all.

They seem to be fairly rare as being for sale that is, I guess they have not been imported for a while. Although because of that I haven't seen much in the way of load data as well.

I was figuring to try either a patched ball or a lead bb shot gun load out of the one I am keeping. (haven't made my mind up which one it will be.) I am looking for powder recomendations for them as well.

FWIW. Back in the 70's DGW sold Tower pistols. At that time in the catalog theyd tell you the pros and cons of every gun they sold. I almost bought one of the Towers but they said the locks didn't spark well and for I think five bucks more they'd tune the locks to spark correctly. This was about the same time I had my Kentucky rifle that only sparked once every 10-15 tries so I didn't get one.

I suppose I should throw a flint in the ones that don't have one to see if they spark. I would hate to sell something that doesn't work unless I tell them such.

BTW Homesteader wait till you see the chunk of rock in the one I sold you, you will LYAO it is as big as a bisquit. It is way oversized but it was with the gun so I am selling it with it.

Back