• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

.69 cal. loads- shot.. ball?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Todd Rickard

40 Cal.
Reaction score
Hey fellas... I'm getting back into muzzle loaders after about 20 winters without. I plan on getting a .69cal flint smoothbore with a 45" tube, like a french trade musket. Would you post some load information for me? Mostly, I shoot bits of wood, or rocks in the creek, but I may be usin' it to take game as varried in size from grouse to moose.
I also need a good source for possibles 'cause there aint much goin' on here in western Canada.
Keep yer hair on...

Check hte links pages in Member Resources in The Forum above. It give you the names of dozens of suppliers of all kind of things.

As to loads, it all depends on the game you wish to hunt. Since you live in British Columbia, you have deer, and black bear all over, as well as protected wolves, some moose, cougars, etc. That .69 cal gun will kill anything on the continent using a Patched Round Ball( PRB). If it is a true .690 bore its a 14 ga. shotgun, and you can buy wads for it through Track of the wolf( TOTW), among others.

The shot size you choose would also depend on what you wish to hunt. It doesn't take a 14 ga. shotgun to kill rabbits, so a light, 1 0z, or lighter load of #6 shot should do the job. Take a look at Bob Spenser's Black Powder Notebook
[url] http://members.aye.net/~bspen/index.html[/url]

amd read the articles on loading shotguns. V.M. Starr's article is particularly useful, but read the other articles, too. You will learn a wealth of information, and have that reference source at your fingertips in the future, too. You probably have grouse and possibly ptarmigan in the Province, depending on where you live. Those can be killed with the same, or even smaller shot, say, #8 instead. The ranges are fairly close, and the real problem is mounting and swinging the gun on to the target before it puts a forest between you and it! There is real satisfaction, however, in taking any game with a smoothbore musket. If you are going to hunt bear, you probably would be wise to cast some balls with a harder alloy lead, rather than pure lead, just so you have a ball that will penetrate even after striking bones, and get to the lungs and heart. A .69 diameter round ball is going to weigh 1 1/8 oz. so don't worry about whether it will penetrate enough.

And you don't need to put a lot of powder down the barrel to get that ball to move fast enough to penetrate even on bear. Shooting those large balls, or loads in that large gun can be tiring. Take it easy on the gun and on your shoulder by using reasonable loads. Do use an overpowder wad, to seal the gases away from your PRB, and keep that patch from burning. That will give you much better accuracy. You probably will want to find a ball that is either .680, or .670 in diameter to shoot in that .69 cal. barrel. If the bore measures smaller or larger, then order a custom mold that is no more than 20 thousandths smaller than the actual bore diameter( use a caliper to measure the bore.) That large ball upsets pretty well when the gun is fired, jamming the patch into the sides of the barrel. You want to use a good lube on the patches, but keep the patch and ball combination loose enough to be easy pushed down the barrel.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have a similar smoothbore that I use with both shot and ball, but it only has about 32" of barrel with which to make the most use of my loads. It is much more gun than needed for the squirrel and rabbit which are the most plentiful small game that I hunt. I try to limit the shot load to 1oz and for turkey (which I rarely hunt) I use 1 1/2oz loads.

The patched round ball is good for me in this gun to around 50-60yds (most shots are much closer--I hunt in heavy cover). My gun has a set of open sights (front and rear), so that helps when firing the PRB loads.

The powder charges I use would probably not produce similar results for you in your much longer barrel. I will say that I never load over 85-90gr FFg and that would be loading very heavy in this gun. The gun shoots better with loads around 70gr FFg. I use the black English Flints when I can get them and I have a good reliable firing gun (I always use FFFFg for priming).

Hope this was of some help to you,
WV_Hillbilly

Back