• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

.58 renegade

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jan buck

40 Cal.
Reaction score
i received a gm barrel in .58 cal. ordered it on the 28th of feb and got it mar 1st from totw. thats one day! this is a roundball barrel. anyone else have this combo? how about loads, target and hunting? hunting stories with the big .58? this is my 2nd gm barrel. the quality is outstanding. thanks inadvance. chopper

Only had mine a month and havent got to shoot it that much, but it seems anything from 50 to 110 grs of 2 f hit dead center every time. Great barrel. Fred :hatsoff:

hi fw, i had to file about a 1/16" off the rib to fit. but, shes ready to go. the ramrod is useless. will get a wooden one. where can i get one? would like to get the ball into the 1400-1500 fps range for deer. tc's manual has about 110 grs for this velocity. the recoil pad will help on the renegade too. we just got hit with a foot of snow, so its gonna be awhile before i can get to my range. chopper

chopper said:
i received a gm barrel in .58 cal. ordered it on the 28th of feb and got it mar 1st from totw. thats one day! this is a roundball barrel. anyone else have this combo? how about loads, target and hunting? hunting stories with the big .58? this is my 2nd gm barrel. the quality is outstanding. thanks inadvance. chopper
I have that same barrel in Flint, mounted in the large size Hawken stock...incredibly accurate...tried 70/80/90/100grns Goex 2F...accuracy is always the same...so I plink with 70grns, and use the following for deer hunting:

100grns Goex 2F
Oxyoke Wonderwad
.018" TC prelubed pillow ticking
Hornady .570

4 shots/4 bucks...complete passthroughs at 40-50 yards of course

thanks for the info roundball. sure i'm gonna have to fiddle with patch thickness-hey thats half the fun, right? chopper

I have two 58 cal. renegades. I use 100 grs. of Goex 2F in my flinter and 120 grs. of the same powder in my percussion, with the roundball. I have never had a deer move after being hit with either one. My favorite caliber.

:applause: Chopper you made a great choice of cals.IMHP. I don't have a Ren. but I do have a Armi San Marco in 58 just lately acquired is an old gun but was never sold and never fired . So far it is the most accurate ML that I own including a Great Plains IMO recoil is very manageable ,it is quickly becoming my favorite.Hope to hunt with it this year Deer maybe Elk . So enjoy tour 58 Shifty

I have the same setup. The only thing I don't like is that my Renegade stock doesn't have enough drop or length of pull to suit me. I have on order a Pecatonica River replacement stock that will solve that problem. I also am installing a silver blade front sight and a fixed primitive style rear sight. Just dont want the TC adjustable one on my gun anymore.
I guess that my willingness to change almost everything about the gun except the barrel is a testament to how much I LOVE THAT BARREL and Caliber. It absolutely wants to shoot. I shoot a JoAnn Fabric pillowtick patch lubed with Stumpys semi-dry technique, a hand cast .570 round ball behind 120 grs. KIK 2F blackpowder. My best group was 3 shots off a bench at 100 yards .443" center to center! I shot a nice Mule Deer Buck this year with it and a nice Pronghorn Antelope Buck the year before. Never doubted the gun. Click the links to see photos. You will LOVE that gun.
Idaho PRB

58 Group 2006 Buck 2005 Antelope

I know what you mean I guess when I'm done all that will be T/C is the ...? :shake: not sure. Full stock from P River, pair of GM barrels 58 and 62 rifled, sights old style, different trigger guard and locks hew the treiggers will be T/C :rotf: I wanted to play with makeing a 7/8th Smithsonian Hawken (at a 1/10 the cost), then tac it out ect, I'll still have all the org parts ect triggers to sell as a real nice Ren/50cal. FRED :hatsoff:

I use OX-Yoke lubed pillowticking patch, .58 wonder wad and 100 to 135grs KIK 2F. As stated by other members the barrel is very accurate and predictable. You will love it I am sure.

thats one heckuva mule deer buck you got there! man! nice group too. i have another .58- a zouave. yep, looking forward to blasting away with it. the stock fits me pretty well. midway usa is back ordered on these barrels til june 12th. couldn't wait that long. i got 50 hornady balls and a ball/loading block also. oh theres no doubt in my mind that it won't shoot. the .54 gm barrel on my hawken shoots awesome. lets here some more buck stories. [doe stories o.k. too]. chopper.

When you shoot the Zouave, use smaller powder charges. The Zouave, like most of the military rifled muskets, hass shallow, wide rifling for use with Minie balls. The shallow rifling just doesn't take too well to big charges. This is exactly why the 1-48" twist got a bad rap back in the 60's that continues to this day. Patched balls shoot just fine with conservative powder charges. Have fun and good luck.

FW

I'd be really interested to see your creation and talk to you about parts, etc. I've been thinking about doing exactly the same thing. In the end, I think your right about not having much T/C stuff left on it. Probably just the triggers and tang.

Dave

my zouave shoots about ten inches high. this topic has been dicussed on other posts and the potential remedies for it. have to mess with the sights. kinda why i like the adjustable's on the gm barrels. i had told a co-worker that i got this barrel, and he was excited about it. and asked for info[sites] so i gave him some including this forum to really get him hooked :grin: chopper.

Back