• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

.56 Renegade accuracy

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tracy

40 Cal.
Reaction score
A friend of mine bought an unfired .56 renegade and asked me to help him sight it in.The first 2 shots were in the same hole at 25 yards,the 3rd was 6 inches high.He shot 20 times with good accuracy most of the time,but 5 flyers.We picked up the patches and 15 of them looked almost new,5 were shreded.What could cause this.I assume the shreded patches were the flyers.

Jess said:
A friend of mine bought an unfired .56 renegade and asked me to help him sight it in.The first 2 shots were in the same hole at 25 yards,the 3rd was 6 inches high.He shot 20 times with good accuracy most of the time,but 5 flyers.We picked up the patches and 15 of them looked almost new,5 were shreded.What could cause this.I assume the shreded patches were the flyers.
Burn through...use an Oxyoke wonderwad as a firewall over the powder and that should take care of it.

If you don't have any locally and want to test it, just push a spare lubed patch (or 2) down on the powder first, then seat the patched ball on top of them...the spare lubed patch(es) will provide the same firewall effect.

When I had a .56SB, I used 70grns Goex 3F, an Oxyoke wonderwad, a .015" lubed patch, and a Warren .550 ball...a real tight combo but it was very accurate to the 50yds I tested it.

Jess said:
We picked up the patches and 15 of them looked almost new,5 were shreded.What could cause this.I assume the shreded patches were the flyers.

The only way to be sure is to collect the patches one at a time after each shot, then you will know...

You can even number them with a marker to help sort them out...

He was using a wonder wad.70 grains GOEX wonder wad .535 ball Wal Mart pillow ticking lubed with olive oil.I have heard that Lyman G.P.H.has a rust preventive in there barrels that is hard to scrub out.Do you know if T/C uses somthing similar.I scrubed the bore with hot soapy water and a bronze bore brush befor he shot it.

Jess said:
He was using a wonder wad.70 grains GOEX wonder wad .535 ball Wal Mart pillow ticking lubed with olive oil.I have heard that Lyman G.P.H.has a rust preventive in there barrels that is hard to scrub out.Do you know if T/C uses somthing similar.I scrubed the bore with hot soapy water and a bronze bore brush befor he shot it.
Makes no sense to me then...maybe he occasionally forgot to put in a wonder wad for those few instances of shredded patches...dunno...but with a wonderwad AND a strong pillow ticking patch, no idea what else could be the cause of it.
:confused:

Unless.....the wad is a .54cal instead of a .58cal...I guess it's possible that occasionally the smaller diameter .54cal wad could get offset against one side of the .56cal bore, leaving a gap on the other side for fire to get around and the relatively loose fit of the .535 lets it come right up around the patch...dunno.

Any question about a loose .54cal wad could easily be eliminated by experimenting with the double patch overpowder instead of the wad.....then he'd know for sure that all sides around the ball were being sealed off to protect the patch.

ie: if you lay a pair of patches on the muzzle, then gently push into their center, the patches enter the muzzle puckered up with a lot of material all up around the walls of the bore...compressing a patched ball down on top of them causes a lot of material to bunch up around the curvature of the ball, fully protecting the patch...simply enough to try.

Not aware of anything special that TC puts in their bores...have you dropped a borelight into it...any rough spots, pitting, rust, etc?

We used .54 wonder wads maybe they were too loose.Maybe should have used .58?

roundball said:
Makes no sense to me then...maybe he occasionally forgot to put in a wonder wad for those few instances of shredded patches...dunno...but with a wonderwad AND a strong pillow ticking patch, no idea what else could be the cause of it.
:confused:

If there was slight larger variance in the diameter of the roundballs, the "fit" would be tighter when loading, perhaps even tight enough to rip the patch (on the back side) when the ball was started...

The patch would then continue to rip and get completely destroyed when the gun was fired...

I believe there can be weak areas in patches from the folds in the ticking when it was stored as bulk material, the folds create thin spots in the fabric, however, this is just my opinion and I have nothing to back that up with...

Jess said:
Would the .535 ball be too small?
Unless there's an internal problem with the bore, the undersize ball shouldn't matter if a good firewall is in place...but if the wad was left out accidently a few times without him realizing it, then yes, an undersize ball would promote / encourage patch failure

Jess said:
Would the .535 ball be too small?

If I remember correctly, T/C recommended using a .550 roundball in their .56 smoothbores...

You can use smaller roundballs, just remember to use thicker patches to make up the difference in space...

Yes i did drop a bore light down the barrel and it looked good, but it looks like the blueing goes completly down the bore? The bore looks shiney but after it had been fired a few times at the muzzle you could see where it ,Dont know how to explain,you could see where the patches werewearing more.I am sure that after a break in time the problem will be fine.T/C makes one hell of a gun.A little tweaking and it will be fine.

T/C does recomend .550 balls.Maybe I should read the directions first.I think its a man thing,screw it up then read the directions.

i'm duplicating Roundballs load from above in my .56 with good results. also works good with a .550 and a .010 patch with a buffer patch or wonder wad.

When I had mine, I used a .535 ball with a .035 patch (bluejeans). It loaded pretty tight, but I got 1 1/4" groups at 50 yards with it and 90 fffG. I think your problem will be solved with the .58 wad.

I use a .535 sized ball and .018 lubed pillow ticking. Tight fit. Good shooter. And the patches are neither torn nor shredded. They just have a nice ring around the inside where they were in contact with the bore.
Taylor in Texas

Jess said:
T/C does recomend .550 balls.Maybe I should read the directions first.I think its a man thing,screw it up then read the directions.

Or more simply put: "When all else fails read the instructions". :grin:
Don't let it get to you we have all done things we could have kicked ourselves fore afterward, more often than not in my case.
And it's not just a "man thing" either, not by a long shot. :rotf:

Toomuch
Shoot Flint

SCATTERSHOT said:
When I had mine, I used a .535 ball with a .035 patch (bluejeans). It loaded pretty tight, but I got 1 1/4" groups at 50 yards with it and 90 fffG. I think your problem will be solved with the .58 wad.

That should read FFG! Sorry.

Back