• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

56 cal. T/C smooth bore

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have also had reasonably good results with the 2-dram powder/2-dram shot charges.

This may sound stupid, but I use an empty soda can every 5yds to tell me if the load is hitting hard enough... if it can put at least from 8 to 12 shot through BOTH sides, and topple the can decently, then the gun-load is good enough for that distance.

Does anyone else use a similar method?

Shoot wisely... shoot safely,
WV_Hillbilly

Most all soda cans today are made from Aluminum. I think RoundBall's "test", using empty Tuna fish cans, that are made from steel plate, makes a better test medium for a shoot-no/shoot load of shot.

I also found that using more shot than powder, and using heavier shot was the way to get better patterns, and enough shot on the target at 30-35 yds to kill birds cleanly. with a cylinder bore gun. The larger shot sizes carry more energy, further, than smaller shot sizes can. With a MLer, unlike a cartridge gun, you are not limited by the length of the cartridge casing to how much shot you use in the gun.

I think you have to use some thought about just how much more shot you put in the gun, and be cautious about how much pressure you might be creating at the back end of that barrel(( the part nearest your own head!). I have test fired some outrageous loads over the years, with friends, just to see what the limits might be. :hmm: :thumbsup:

My 56 smoothie renegade showed up tonight!!!!! range report later this weekend!!!!
All I have done is clean test fire and reclean so far....I am really excited....probably will hunt with it this weekend if I can dial it in tomorrow evening before sundown.

I use Roundballs method- steel tuna can the stiffer type at 35 yards ..If the pellets pass through ..I'm good......Dan

Craftwelder- Send a report..I'm going to shoot the online post shoot on Saturday with mine..I'll post some pictures...Good luck....Dan

Since GM stopped making the .62cal/.20ga x 1" drop-in smoothbore for T/C Hawkens...for very little money Ed Rayl would bore out a T/C .56cal x 1" smoothbore to .62cal/.20ga...would give a lot more load flexibility and extended range for other smoothbore game

Roundball -I have one of those jug choked full by Lowell Tennison of Iowa.. throws a great pattern at 35 yards. Minute of deer with roundball at 50 yards.

makeumsmoke said:
I use Roundballs method- steel tuna can the stiffer type at 35 yards ..If the pellets pass through ..I'm good......Dan
Actually it was DaveK who put me onto that idea.
The stronger tougher tuna can (soup can, etc) gives a far better indication of pellet energy than modern day soda cans...they're just too thin and flimsy.

For example my .62cal turkey load of hard #6s or nickel plated #6s is good to 40 yards on a tuna can...(and 2 turkeys so far)...good enough for the tough neck bones and skull of a turkey...plus the small 4" tuna cans make for a good small target as well.

I see a lot of people's loads where #5s and #4s are used for turkey but to me, they just aren't necessary and the resultant lower pellet count thins a turkey pattern and shortens the usable distance way too much.

040607-16No.jpg

Found my Happy load for the 56 T/C smoothe-

Range report: 1-31-2010
50 yards-temp 8-11 degrees-NW wind 10-15mph sunny

load. 75 FFF-Goex
1/2" fiber wad- lube-Stumpy's Moose Snot
.027 40 cotton drill--From (Joannes fabrics)lubed with Stumpy's Moose Snot(olive oil blend)

.520 round ball
# 11 CCI cap

IMG_0472.jpg

IMG_0473.jpg

5 inch shootnc target--3 inches at 50 I'm good!

IMG_0470.jpg

We get so old and Yet so smart!

Had "Roundballs" heater going..Sunny and 70 degs in the tent! Shown here co-worker shooting- buddy--Trailchef and I just turned him to the Dark side...Yes!....He's already talking "Flint-tage"

IMG_0469.jpg

I like to think of it as we helped a lost friend find his way... :thumbsup:

That looks like quite the "shootin' Shack", great idea! :grin:
I'm amazed at how many of those .56 T/C barrels are still around. I think T/C never made a great many of them but it seems like half the people on this site have one or two.

WGrizz--Welcome to the forum..learn and enjoy..there is so much hands on experience here...don't be afraid to ask questions..and since you have got your feet wet you might as well jump all the way in..the waters warm.....Dan

Yes Sir, they're still around...found one quickly, $104.80 to my door. Waiting for it to be delivered as we speak. Gonna replace my regular scattergun with a cloud of smoke next turkey season.
Been lurking around the shadows here for awhile, seems like a great bunch of shooters and alot of great info all in one place! Thanks guys...longrifle :thumbsup:

Longrifle...Welcome to the forum!...send a range report when you find your happy load..have fun....Dan

Thank you sir, happy to be here! I'm doing a little "personalizing" on her right now, never liked the Renegade's buttstock, way too much wood. This one was inexpensive enough to let me do some work on her and garner some skills. Overall she's a really nice old rifle but I found her with a questionable barrel for $40! Turns out the barrel, a 50, can be salvaged. When I get her back together and blowing smoke the smoothie load is my first priority! :thumbsup:

Picked up a .550 T.C. RB Mold at a local sporting store for $11.50. Gotta love that old stock that never sells. :thumbsup:

Grrreat deal there :hatsoff: It'll shoot a little better when ya get her dialed in

Mine miked out at a true .560.
Plan on using the .550 diam. RB with a .010 patch.
You have to use the purist lead you can get. Wheel weights and such will turn out larger than the true diam of your mold.
Found that out on an earlier casting session.

Back