• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

54. White mountain carbine

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Basic single trigger T/C one inch barrel 21 or 22 inches long with standard 1 in 48 twist regular old T/C adjustable sights. Not much more to know.

45(rare) and 50 cal White Mountains had twists from 1 in 28 to 1 in 38 and maybe even 1 in 20 dependin’ on who ya listen to but for some reason(cheapness most likely) the 54 cal had the regular old T/C 1 in 48 twist.

I had a 5o cal , I knew some had a fast twist, I didn’t know that till I had bought it. I basically wanted to confirm what y’all have already said. A guy was supposed to be sending me pics of a Hawken turned out to be a wmc in 54.

I have a White Mountain .54 on its way to me now, delayed by the postal strike up here in Canuckistan. The previous owner stated that it was a 1:38 twist; I'm hoping that he is correct...

Johnwm, did you buy from a CGN from Wasaga Beach Ont by chance?
If so I was eyeing up his TC New Englander.

BTW I had a WMC years ago. 1:28.
Twist was too fast for my interests.

I just picked up like new a TC White Mnt Carbine in 50 cal last year. Hunted a time or 2 with it last season with a charge of 90 Gr 2 f G and a 295 Gr cva power-belt bullet. I love this Muzzleloader so much I call Her my New Best Lady-lol

I just picked up like new a TC White Mnt Carbine in 50 cal last year. Hunted a time or 2 with it last season with a charge of 90 Gr 2 f G and a 295 Gr cva power-belt bullet. I love this Muzzleloader so much I call Her my New Best Lady-lol
Its easy to measure the twist with a ramrod with a T handle.

The WMC varied over the years...
TC Catalog #20 shows that rifle as:.
.45 1:48
.50 1:20
.54 1:48

BUT..., in catalog 22 is shows:
.50 1:38
.54 1:48

Which shows the discontinuation of the .45 caliber, and a change to the .50 caliber.

IF you're getting a .54 then it's 1:48. I have owned several TC products, and still do, and I always found that the "Maxi-Hunter" bullets shot the best when it came to conicals. The problem though is those have been discontinued, and nobody appears to be making molds for them either, so you have to scrounge a used mold. You might try a LEE brand REAL bullet https://www.midwayusa.com/product/7...0-real-54-caliber-557-diameter-380-grain-real or a Hornady Great Plains Bullet https://www.midwayusa.com/product/6...leloading-bullets-lead-hollow-point-box-of-20 IF you're not going to go with a patched round ball.

LD

Johnwm, did you buy from a CGN from Wasaga Beach Ont by chance?
If so I was eyeing up his TC New Englander.

BTW I had a WMC years ago. 1:28.
Twist was too fast for my interests.

Hi Jamie, what a small world; my White Mountain came from another fellow in Ontario, who apparently now lives across the street from the house in which I was born. However, the gent in Wasaga Beach did just sell me a Seneca a few weeks ago! :)

Hi Jamie, what a small world; my White Mountain came from another fellow in Ontario, who apparently now lives across the street from the house in which I was born. However, the gent in Wasaga Beach did just sell me a Seneca a few weeks ago! :)

Yep small world for sure.
I ended up getting the brand new TC Hawken instead of the N.E.
Make smoke and keep ur powder dry!

Jamie

By the way, in case anyone is still following this thread: the White Mountain .54 has arrived and I've been trying to measure the rate of twist with a tight brass-brush-wrapped-with-a-patch gizmo. Not exactly high precision, especially since the slow twist in a short barrel only allows for a half turn of the rod...but I keep getting a measurement of about 39 or 40 inches, so I am assuming that it is actually 38 inches.

Considering all the stuff they engrave on these barrels...would it kill them to include the rate-of-twist?

Rate of twist is sometimes confusing.
1:48 is really too fast for a round ball, and too slow for a conical.
It takes verry little twist to stabalize a round bullet, and usually less of a powder charge.
Like a basketball compared to a football.

Indeed it's confusing. You need to go back and explain it to the Hawken brothers who got all stuck up on using 1:48 in their rifles. As did many other builders back in the day.

The confusion all started with TC, who called it a "compromise twist." The compromise was their shallow rifling to allow use of conicals and NOT the 1:48 twist rate.

You can always get a Green Mountain drop in barrel for a T/C and some other factory guns. And get them in either a slow or fast twist.

It takes verry little twist to stabalize a round bullet, and usually less of a powder charge.
Like a basketball compared to a football.
My Cabela's rifle with a 1:48 twist shoots both quite well. PRBs a little better than conicals.

I own the same rifle mine shoots conicals great I use a 425 Hornady great plains bullet and a 535 gr in mine I use a lubed wonder wad over the powder. and I use 80 grains of pyrodex select 2F im working on a new load using Olde eynesford 3f ive killed 30 or so hogs in the last year with this set up. I haven't shot roundballs out of it yet.

Back