• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

.54 PRB or .50 Maxi-Hunter for Deer?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bowbender68

32 Cal.
Reaction score
Hi All,
I am just hoping to get some input on which round would make a better 50-75 yard deer slug. A .54 PRB or a 275gr Maxi-Hunter conical? The Maxi-Hunter has about 50 gr more weight but I have heard that the PRB's expand better. Thanks for any input.

Its the wrong question. What is better is not relevant for the hunting you describe. At those short yardages, any .54 RB is doing to pass completely through a Whitetail deer. It weighs more than 1/2 oz! The conical, whatever one you choose, is also going to pass completely through a whitetail deer at those range.

Since we don't know how big you are, and we don't know your shooting experience, the real question has to be, Which projectile can you put on the target the most accurately? Hit a deer in the heart/lung area with either a ball or conical and you are going to have a dead animal.

Personally, I would use the lighter, RB for hunting deer. It is going to kick your shoulder less, and that alone will contribute to you shooting more accurately. 70-80 grains of Goex or Wano( Graf)FFFg powder is all you will need at that short yardage to push that freight train through a deer's body.

Good hunting. You are going to need to do a lot of practicing with that gun if you intend to use it this Fall. :thumbsup:

In my opinion (we all have one) I think that most conicals are overkill for deer in terms of mass. Unless you have a rifle that is capable of hitting the boiler room of a deer at 150yds, I don't see the point. Your .54 PRB will will push right through a deer's ribcage out to 100yds with a modest hunting charge.
Now, if you want piece of mind and the sectional density a conical provides, go for the conical. Either way in your situation you won't go wrong.

For broadside shots, I doubt you could tell the difference between them at most ranges. Certainly not at 50-75 like you're talking.

The conical would probably penetrate better on shots lengthwise through the body. I say "probably" because I've never done a full length body shot with my 54 RB, but I helped dress my hunting pard's buck after he shot it in the brisket at a little over 50 with a 50 cal maxi. We recovered the maxi under the hide on the back of the right ham.

Especially over 100 I'd have more faith in the conical if extra penetration was required. They just don't lose their poop as fast as RB.

I'd prefer the .54 ball...The deer I've shot with mine don't go far and the ball expands well...In fact, with lung shots, they drop just as quick as deer hit with my bow or my .243...I use 80grs of FFF...I've recovered several and they have flattened to about the size of a nickle...

Back in the 80s, my brother used a .50 caliber T/C Hawken, 90grs and a Buffalo Bullet...The Buffalo Bullets would plow right through, he killed deer but they would usually run further...
I don't remember ever recovering any of these...

Remember...The faster a projectile is moving, the faster it expands...A round ball has a large frontal area and can be pushed faster than a Maxi Ball type bullet (with the same charges)...This, plus the pure lead of a round ball helps it expand rapidly, which creates a wider wound channel...

Last edited by a moderator:
Diggler said:
For deer at 50-75 yds? Either one is overkill.
:v

I agree but in this case I would definitely go with the roundball.

HD

A long time family friend once made a comment along the lines of: "I'm glad the conicals leave an exit wound because I never had to start trailing animals until I began using them". The PRB is extremely effective on deer sized critters and .54 is far more than enough. The best option is to try both and see which you shoot best with.

Either is much more than you need for whitetail -- but am assuming you've already bought the gun, hence the question. That being the case I would go with the PRB -- and enough powder to get the ball there effectively. A hole punched clean through the animal means you get to hone your tracking skills. (Experience speaking)
Good hunting.

Here in Oregon, where the weather tends to be dry at the opening of deer season, I will hunt with a conical because of the danger of fire from a smoking patch.If that is not the case and I will be limiting my shots out to 50 or so yards, the 54 prb or the 62 smoothie will be the one.Some of the areas I like, can present shots out to 100 plus.The 54 with a shocker 445 gr or a Real conical. will do a number on them and my old shoulder :grin:

Decisions, decisons!!
When one gets in bed with government, one must expect the diseases it spreads.
Ron Paul

Not to nit-pick...

But if your patches are smoking when they exit the barrel, you need to change lube or patching material...

I would suggest a patched ball is safer, harder for it to move off the powder...

bowbender68 said:
Hi All,
I am just hoping to get some input on which round would make a better 50-75 yard deer slug. A .54 PRB or a 275gr Maxi-Hunter conical? The Maxi-Hunter has about 50 gr more weight but I have heard that the PRB's expand better. Thanks for any input.

At some point you decide "enough is enough" BUT since alot folks on this forum do the voodoo dance on behalf of the RB :wink: I'll just state that the connical is ballistically better in every catigory sooooo when extreams are considered (longer ranges, less then broad side shots, etc) the connical is superior. YOU decide what expectations and limitations you have and then pick yer poision cuz they will both get-er done im sure.

"I'll just state that the connical is ballistically better in every catigory "

Except the category of being a truely traditional projectile (this is in reference to conicals of modern design) for MLs, this is not of any concern to many but is nice to know for those who are interested in experiencing the traditional ways of ML hunting. Typical ballistic standards have been found to not reall apply to the RB as a whole when it comes to killing ability, kinda like the ol' bumblebee can't fly story.

connical is ballistically better in every catigory

I honestly believe that when a .54 round ball strikes game at velocities of 1000 fps or better that the terminal performance is superior to a conical.

For the average hunter the ballistics as regards trajectory and so forth are pretty much irrelevant at the hunters maximum accurate shooting range. I'll freely admit that my max 100% on target ml hunting range when shooting offhand is about 50 yards. Call me a bad shot if you will, but when I shoot in offhand competition I always rank in the top 5 to 10 percent of competitors be it a 10 shooter match or a 200 shooter match.

marmotslayer said:
I honestly believe that when a .54 round ball strikes game at velocities of 1000 fps or better that the terminal performance is superior to a conical.

I agree. If you shoot a whitetail deer through the boiler room at 50 yards with a .54 roundball and do the same with a .50 Maxi-Ball the roundball will do a lot more damage. The Maxi will most likely poke right through with little or no expansion whereas the roundball will expand dramatically.

HD

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back