• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

.54 PRB loads for Fox Ridge barrel

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bucky182

36 Cl.
Reaction score
Hello again,
Sorry new to the sight and kinda new to Black Powder shooting. OK from an earlier post yesterday I found out my Fox Ridge .54 barrel with a 1:66 twist is really a green mountain barrel. Whew!! LOL The barrel has never been fired. I want to use it to deer hunt with. I know each barrel is different and I will have to play with loads to find a sweet spot. However, if anyone has a similar barrel and shooting PRB could you please give me some suggestions on where to start. IE Ball and patch dia. charge. (I shoot black powder not the subs.) so 3f and 2f goetex and swiss. Also, is a number 11 cap or a musket cap better?

Thank You

Generally, "11" caps are cheaper and work great with black powder. A sorta "rule of thumb" is to start with a ball ten thousandths of an inch smaller than the bore and a patch at least .010" to .015" thick such as pillow ticking, etc. From there you can adjust patch, ball and charge size for accuracy.

Also, no need for gobs of powder. Start in the 50gr range with 3f and work up observing accuracy. You'll reach a point where the group size will shrink and open back up, that's your load.

No 11s, are less expensive but try to put on the cone with cold fingers. Musket caps are much better for those of us aflicted with fumblitis.

Load I use in my Green Mtn. , .54 flinter for hunting deer and bear , .530 round ball , .015 Wonder Lube patched....85 gr.Goex FF. Recoil not bad.....At range , between shots ,run bronze brush in and out. Then bump muzzle on board , muzzle down , to get ash out. Load as usual and fire. Not sure if this method works for percussion , but works fine for flint rifle. My old eyes can't see open sights very well , but still get 3" group @ 60 yds..

With respect to load development in a 54 caliber rifle, I recommend a starting load of 65 grains, ball 0.010" less than bore diameter and a patch of groove depth (0.015" to 0.022"). Most any patch lubricant will suffice for the first getting to know the rifle, so use spit.

Musket caps cost at least 4 times the price of #11 or #11magnum caps for no real benefit in performance. Put the money you save in a good Ted Cash capper.

Excellent advice offered above. I would also recommend that you zero for 75 yds. for your deer hunting. Adjust you sights so that you are grouping 1and 1/2 inches high at 50 yds. and you will be good to go for hunting. I use .530 roundball, pillow tick patches (1 and 1/8 inches, round) and Stumpy's moose snot for my hunting lube! You can get the recipe for the moose snot from this website Member Resources 2nd page! Also Track of The Wolf, Mink oil would be an excellent hunting lube.

Oh yeah, I use 80 gr. of pyrodex p in my hunting load. Same 1/66 twist Green Mountain barrel.

My hunting load for my .54 green mountain 1:66 barrel is 95 grains of 2f with a .535 ball in a .015 mink oil lubed patch. I sight in like "Downwind" 1.5" high at 50 yards. Puts me about .5" high at 75 yards and 1.5" low at 100. I would not shoot much beyond 75 yards cause my eyes don't see the open sights that good anymore, and besides, where I hunt you are lucky to see a deer beyond 50 yards due to thick laurels.

Latest posts

Back