• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

.54 Eastern Tennesee poor boy rifle

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PreglerD

58 Cal.
Reaction score
Hello from Germany,

in a few weeks or months I'll get my poor boy rifle built by Roy. I'll use it both for hunting and target shooting. Do you have any loading suggestions. Is there a different charge necessary because of the longer barrel?

Regards

Kirrmeister

I have a 54 Bucks county longrifle. I shoot 60 grains 3f for target, 80 grains for hunting. I am one who does not believe that you need to use 100 plus grains in a 54 caliber rifle to kill a deer at under 100 yards. I think you would be best served working up a good, accurate load starting at around 55-60 grains for target work, and then see what it will do with a little stiffer load for hunting. I would think 70 grains would be a good starting point for the hunting load.

I agree with that load though I use Swiss so it's probably equal to 110gr. of Goex, just cleaner. I would feel alright using that on a bear if one showed up. Here in NY most bear are "targets of opportunity" taken by deer hunters when they wander too close to a stand. I never met a dedicated NY State bear hunter but I'm sure they are out there.

-Ray
:thumbsup:

Kirrmeister, I shoot a .54 cal. Yorktown built by Brad Emig. It has a GM 39" barrel and performs best for me with 85 grains of FFFG, a .535 round ball, and .015 patching. My only problem is global warming is causing my sights to go fuzzy. :(

Best wishes with that new rifle when it arrives. :thumbsup:

1776Patriot said:
My only problem is global warming is causing my sights to go fuzzy. :(

Best wishes with that new rifle when it arrives. :thumbsup:
:rotf: :rotf:
I recommend suing someone to compensate for your loss :wink:

Make sure you share a pic on here when you get it.
Dan

My .54 TN rifle has a 42" swamped Green Mountain barrel. It likes a hunting load of 80 grains 3f Goex (use 50 grains for offhand practice).

Back