• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

.54 CVA Hawkens

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cowpoke1955

58 Cal.
Reaction score
I have a friend who wanted to get into black powder, but things were pretty tight for him. He is rebuilding a house for his mother. Since I'm relocating, I gave him all my casting gear, which most of it was set up for .54. He loved my Lyman GPR, but was always just out of reach for him. Then I was surfing in GunBroker and noticed a .54 CVA Hawkens, in good condition, for $105. I called my friend and he said that was within his means. I placed a bid and won. When it arrived you can tell it was used, but well taken care of. It had fixed sights, about 60% of brown left, no rust, excellent bore and only a few dings in the stock. Most important, it was a .54 cal. and within his budget. I know it's not top of the line, but it will be a good starter rifle that will serve him well. After handling it for a few minutes I could see the bug taking hold. He immediately pulled out my old casting gear and started casting up some .530 balls. We have a range date next week. He is really hooked :rotf: .

Sounds like he is v. lucky to have such a good friend ...

Cheers

Robbo

dont discount the tried and true cva! they can keepup with the "big boys" if the shooter does his part. I know, as I have 2of them and theu have performed well and done my good on aggregates and trail walks. granted, my tc's have better locks, I prefer the trigger feel on the mt rifle and my boys cva hawken hasthe best trigger I have felt in a long time.
they shoot for me!

I have a 54 CVA Hawken Kit that I got from Service Merchandise that had 2 barrels. I bought a pawn shop rifle with a bad bore and made up the 50 for my friend.
I call my 54 'Harry Truman' . I have never shot anything but bucks with this rifle. Harry's favorite saying was ' The buck stops here' and thats just what they do when I carry this rifle. I use 100 gr of fff with 530 round ball. I have never lost any deer i have shot with this rifle. I have other bp rifles but this is my favorite. Its light , accurate , and very powerful. You have got a wonderful rifle for your friend.

I've shot GPRs mostly. That CVA sure had a different feel. Nice and light. Real nice trigger, too. It was the first CVA rifle I handled and was kind of impressed. Almost told my friend that the rifle was a piece of junk and I would take it off his hands. I must admit, best $100 rifle I ever saw!

While mine is a 54 Mountain its always been a fun and really fire first time at what your shooting rifle, a real deal at 100. :grin: Fred :hatsoff:

Love my CVA 54

000_1643mb.jpg

000_108705.jpg

oneshot

Oneshot,
Go ahead and make me feel bad about getting this rifle for my friend :rotf: . Maybe I SHOULD have kept it for myself :hmm: . Nice pics. I'll make sure my friend sees them. Thanks :thumbsup:

my cva .54 hawken would shoot cloverleaf groups at 75 yards off a benchrest and swabbing between shots. still regret i sold it. i got mine from service merchandise also.i cut down the .50 to 21" .

We took the CVA out the other day. My friend was getting 1 1/2 to 2 inch groups at 50 yards off hand. It shot about 5 inches high, so I figured the previous owner sighted in for 100 yards. It's lighter and shorter than my GPR, but shoots like crazy. Best of all, it's already shot in. My friend could not have asked for a better rifle, especially at that price! All I can say is that he is hooked :thumbsup: .

Back