• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

.54 ball in a .58 smoothbore

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Rifleman1776 said:
OK, I believe you did that and all is fine.
But, the thought of doing something like that freehand scares the stuffins out of me. :shocked2: I ain't gonna try it on my guns.
BTW, what happened to the nose end of that rilfe?

Thats just ducky with me, it's your call.

But aint you the same guy that wont work on a lock, or unbreech a barrel, mostly a scaredy cat when it comes to the firearm itself, kinda one of those guys that would not have had any interest at all to actually see if the world was indeed round.

As for me I see no problems in the final product, as an aside I am not the only one doing this to the muzzle of my bore, the Sapergia brothers over on the ALR have been championing this treatment for some time.

It smoothes the transition to the bore, which makes it much easier to load tight ball/patch combinations, which by the way shoot much more accurately than loose combinations

19ga NWG

90aadba4-c7be-4a52-abc0-a457d149c6a4_zps6cd482d0.jpg

Nothing happened with the muzzle end of that rifle, we shoot them in the white for awhile before I go to the trouble of finishing them, their ability to shoot directly influences the finished product.

yup,

at the end of the above post I was refering to the lumber at the muzzle end of the rifle. It is very early in the build process and was purposely left that way while shooting to help protect the finish wood from damage.

Just how I do things I spose.

:idunno:

ApprenticeBuilder said:
But aint you the same guy that wont work on a lock, or unbreech a barrel, mostly a scaredy cat when it comes to the firearm itself, kinda one of those guys that would not have had any interest at all to actually see if the world was indeed round.
Please stick to the subject matter and don't make personal comments. Thanks.

This I appears to be similar to "coning" a barrel. Does your method offer any advantage over coning a barrel? I have a coning tool and have coned several of my barrels. It seemed to have no effect on their accuracy but it did make loading a ball easier.

Coning relieves the first 2" to 3" of barrel at the muzzle creating a gentle transition to actual bore diameter, the method I am using only relieves the sharp edge of the crown where it meets the bore, no more than about .030" or so.

Basically it just smoothes the abrupt transitional edge from crown to bore.

In response to the OP, when I had my T/C .56 smootie, I loaded 60 grains of ffG with a .535 ball, an overpowder Wonder Wad, and a denim patch. Loaded hard, but it shot like a rifle at 50 yards. Prolly load easier in your .58.

Back