• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Shout Out to Forth Armoury

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
So, I've bought a number of paper cartridges formers from Steve at Forth Armoury in the past. Love his YT videos and products.

This past weekend I bought an 1842 Springfield smoothbore at the N-SSA Nationals so I can start shooting it in competition. In anticipation of that purchase I ordered the new Eras Gone .678 RB mold and a Vortex Ball Roller from Forth Armory for roughing up RB using my drill press (as opposed to using files).

This morning I cast a couple hundred balls. This afternoon I tried out the Vortex. Man does it work great and it's really easy to mount and use. Less that 10 seconds per ball. Result as shown in picture. For $55 shipped, this thing is well built and will work for a long time. Highly recommend.

Attachments

• 20231011_144526.jpg
    20231011_144526.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 6
  • 20231011_144632.jpg
    20231011_144632.jpg
    3.9 MB · Views: 0
So, I've bought a number of paper cartridges formers from Steve at Forth Armoury in the past. Love his YT videos and products.

This past weekend I bought an 1842 Springfield smoothbore at the N-SSA Nationals so I can start shooting it in competition. In anticipation of that purchase I ordered the new Eras Gone .678 RB mold and a Vortex Ball Roller from Forth Armory for roughing up RB using my drill press (as opposed to using files).

This morning I cast a couple hundred balls. This afternoon I tried out the Vortex. Man does it work great and it's really easy to mount and use. Less that 10 seconds per ball. Result as shown in picture. For $55 shipped, this thing is well built and will work for a long time. Highly recommend.
I’ve seen you tube vids on chewed ball. Some seem to love them, some can’t find a difference
How have you found them?

I’ve seen you tube vids on chewed ball. Some seem to love them, some can’t find a difference
How have you found them?
This will be my first time shooting them. I know all the N-SSA competitors use them roughed up. I think it's kind of the same principle as the dimples on golf balls.

I’m assuming the ones that looked “chewed” are the after effect.
Does this rig make the balls more rounded ?
A video of the contraption in progress would help.

I would like to see these tested for accuracy in a smooth bore and a rifle. Might be educational.

Latest posts

Back