• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

.530 rounds balls

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jamesthomas

70 Cal.
Reaction score
Well, I just molded up 156 .530 rounds balls. Now on the box (Its a lee mold) it says 224 grains for the weight, well I got 120 that weighed between 222 and 223, 6 that weighed 223 to 223.5 and the rest (30) I rejected at below 222 grains. Now I'm no new guy, I've cast hundreds of .490s and hundreds of .395s. I double checked these and they weighed the right amount. I did put the micro. on them and the .222 to 223s mic. out correctly. I had my Lee Pot at number eight so I had a smooth pour. As anybody else run into this? It seems that I would get at least some that weighed 224 or so. when casting this many. Also if I had some zinc or other stuff in the lead the round balls would mic. a bigger diameter.

It all depends on the amount of alloy when it comes to a variable diameter. Stuff with just tiny amounts of any of the added stuff isn't going to be much different. It's when the alloy is 5-10% or more that the change is seen.

The weight on the box is stamped the same on every box,, for all purposes the molds are the same too but manufacturing unlike printed word does have minor variances.
If I remember right my 530 mold casts around 221, it's been awhile cause my favorite GM 54 barrel likes 535's.

I wouldn't worry at all, it don't really matter what they weigh,, as long as your getting a consistent weight. 120 out of 156 is pretty darn good. For what it's worth, I'd toss those 6 heavies too.

That's what I was thinking, as long as the weight is consistent I should be A.O.K. I'm just glad they mic out O.K. I have a .495 mold that gives me a lopsided ball. I should see which mold is doing that but have been lazy and haven't got around to finding it. I just checking to see if other peoples .530 molds were light on the weight vs. the what the box says. Hopefully I'll get some feed back from other folks.

I just checking to see if other peoples .530 molds were light on the weight vs. the what the box says. Hopefully I'll get some feed back from other folks.

My lee .530 mold casts a .533 Ball. :haha:

I have a spreadsheet that calculates ball weight in pure lead based on it's diameter. It says a .530 ball should weigh 223.177. Seems like you are coming in pretty close. You could measure your balls in multiple directions :redface:, see what size they are and report back here. :haha:

I don't weigh any of mine. Mostly because I've no scale that will go that high and also. just not that interested. Even for match shooting I just go ahead and trust them. That said, I did have one "called" shot in a match last year that was way off at 25 yards. Everything else about the shot including follow through was consistent but there it was about eight inches out of place.

Believe it or not! but modern reloading scales are very sensitive. Every time you touch the pan or the object being weighed you add weight to it, moisture and oil from your skin. Your own breathing can create air disturbances that will throw off a scale, as will a furnace turning on, a fan running, an open window or door opening. Everybody spits when they talk (some more than others) and that can add weight to a scale and then it evaporates and your scale is off again.

Well, its good to know about the 223 grains being the Real weight of the .530 ball. As a matter of fact I did measure the roundballs at 3 different spots and they were all within tolerances Most of them were around 222 to 223 grains so I pretty sure I'm good to go!. Tomorrow I'll do another 100 or so. I'm making these for a new member that just joined who lives around 40 miles from me. Sunday I'll take him shooting and show him the process. He's been out of town working for 2 weeks.

armakiller said:
Tomorrow I'll do another 100 or so. I'm making these for a new member that just joined who lives around 40 miles from me. Sunday I'll take him shooting and show him the process. He's been out of town working for 2 weeks.

You are the man! :thumbsup: :hatsoff: Keep up the good work. :hatsoff:

armakiller said:
Also if I had some zinc or other stuff in the lead the round balls would mic. a bigger diameter.

For ML rifles you want as soft lead as possible, so don't add anything, and skim off whatever floats to the top.

If you feel the need for more weight or larger diameter, buy the next larger mould.

You do NOT want zinc in your lead. It makes UGLY castings and may make them crumbly and brittle besides.

colorado clyde said:
Believe it or not! but modern reloading scales are very sensitive. Every time you touch the pan or the object being weighed you add weight to it, moisture and oil from your skin. Your own breathing can create air disturbances that will throw off a scale, as will a furnace turning on, a fan running, an open window or door opening. Everybody spits when they talk (some more than others) and that can add weight to a scale and then it evaporates and your scale is off again.

Long ago I noticed that whenever the heat or air conditioning came on, my scale wouldn't settle down. This is even more noticeable with my digital scale - even though it does have a shield over the pan. I've relocated both scales out of the 'blast zone' of the furnace and for good measure, before scale use, bump the thermostat a couple of degrees to delay the fan running while I'm weighing.

Now, about spitting while talking: so, you talk to your scale while weighing powder.

What do you talk about to it?

More important, does it talk back?

What does it say?

AZbpBurner said:
colorado clyde said:

Long ago I noticed that whenever the heat or air conditioning came on, my scale wouldn't settle down. This is even more noticeable with my digital scale - even though it does have a shield over the pan. I've relocated both scales out of the 'blast zone' of the furnace and for good measure, before scale use, bump the thermostat a couple of degrees to delay the fan running while I'm weighing.

Now, about spitting while talking: so, you talk to your scale while weighing powder.

What do you talk about to it?

More important, does it talk back?

What does it say?

Say it, don't spry it! :rotf:

Don't make fun of it. My bathroom scales talk to me all the time. Mostly they say "Ouch, get off me!"

You've got me worried about the guy who submitted that post. I'm concerned about taking advice about someone who speaks to propellants.

I'm gonna go back & check his prior posts to see if he has influenced my bp procedures.
:>)

He is the man! I'm the new member that he mentioned, and can't be more appreciative. This forum has some awesome members that will keep the sport going!

Back