• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

51 Navy Pieta

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bighorserider

40 Cal
Reaction score
I got a 51 Navy for Christmas. It's from Taylor's. I have to say I'm not impressed with the fit. I got the shipping oil cleaned up but had a hard time getting the barrel off. I had to do some filing on the base pin to get it back on. That's n9t really a problem since I expected to have to do some deburring. My real problem is the grips. They have sharp edges extending down behind the trigger guard. It's painful to hold. Definitely need some file work there. This is my first revolver,but I've built a few guns including a flintlock kit so I'm not too worried about fixing things. I got the gun as a project anyway.

I look at all the Italian revolvers as a kit. There is always work to be done to make them right. Some more, some less. Do yourself a favor and study up on how to fit everything, such as normally you wouldn't cut on the arbor but rather on the wedge. They are great fun once all made right but never are out of the box.

Congratulations on your Navy. I've heard often that Pietta grips are not always the best fit. That isn't uncommon. Also, the first time you remove the barrel can be a very tight fit even my Uberti Walker was a little tough the first few times. Newer Pietta's have a very nice plus that a Uberti does not have, the arbor. Pietta's newer revolvers have the correct arbor length. :thumb:
I bought a new Pietta 1861 about 6 months ago and it was difficult at first to remove the barrel but it is now simple and I did nothing to the revolver except to remove it and reassemble several times. Pietta makes a fine replica. I hope you will enjoy it BigHorseRider.

Congrats on your new gun. Study up on the 51 navy on here and other message boards.

I never recommend filing the Arbor. Always the wedge if you "have to" .

Make the part fit the gun , never make the gun fit the part

I like to tinker. Thats why I bought the gun. I've watched Blackie Thomas and Mike Belavieu's videos as well as a bunch of others so am pretty familiar with the workings of Colt's. The slot where the wedge goes through the base pin had a sharp ridge on one side that needed smoothing. The wedge fit fine. Like others have said I look at it as kind of a kit. You can't expect too much from a $270 pistol.

I didn't say I wasn't happy with Taylor's. They were the only place I found the gun I wanted, and it arrived when they said it would. As others have noted inexpensive Italian guns often need work. Mine is no different. I actually bought it as much for a project and to learn from as to shoot. I was just surprised at the poor fit of tge grips that would make it painful to shoot without gloves. Not a big problem but unexpected. I've built a few guns from parts including a flintlock kit so I'm not too worried about this one.

My Uberti Dragoon barrel was so tight I had to resort to a plastic mallet to get it off. Once off and cleaned I used ink to find the binding then used a very fine file on the marks till it fit without binding. Luckily the arbor depth fit was spot on.

My Uberti Dragoon barrel was so tight I had to resort to a plastic mallet to get it off. Once off and cleaned I used ink to find the binding then used a very fine file on the marks till it fit without binding. Luckily the arbor depth fit was spot on.

Nope, if it's a new revolver or has never been corrected, the arbor is short. They (Uberti open top platforms) are all short.

Mike

Latest posts

Back